Neighbor dog

superchemicalgirl

HEN PECKED
11 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Vacationland, Maine
The neighbor at the end of the road (bout a quarter mile down) has a large yellow lab-style dog that is almost always chained to his dog house outside.

This morning I heard an awful racket in my yard and look out and there's a large yellow lab-style dog trying its hardest to get into my chicken run. That includes trying to get under the fence (it's not buried since that would be almost impossible, most of my yard is only 1-2 inches of dirt then granite), trying to get over the 6 foot fence (and almost succeeding) and trying to run through the said fence.

Needless to say my girls were in a complete tizzy. I ran out of the house and hollered at the dog which bugged out and ran incredibly fast out of my yard. I think all my girls are ok, but it's almost impossible to count 33 chickens until they're on the roost at night.

I've met the neighbor once, he came over to introduce himself. I know his girlfriend decently well, we used to work together. I've called both and left messages and so far no return call. It's been over 2 hours.

I'm terrified that this dog is going to come back because it really seemed to be enjoying itself. I've checked my state laws:

§3951. Killing for assault permitted
Any person may lawfully kill a dog if necessary to protect that person, another person or a domesticated animal during the course of a sudden, unprovoked assault. [1997, c. 690, §34 (AMD

1. Procedure. Any person who is assaulted or threatened with imminent bodily injury by a dog or any person witnessing an assault or threatened assault against a person or domesticated animal or a person with knowledge of an assault or threatened assault against a minor, within 30 days of the assault or threatened assault, may make written complaint to the sheriff, local law enforcement officer or animal control officer that the dog is a dangerous dog. For the purposes of this chapter, "domesticated animal" includes, but is not limited to, livestock as defined in section 3907, subsection 18-A.

The last thing I want to do is shoot this dog. But I WILL if I need to.

What would you guys do next? Call and file a complaint with animal control? Go down and see if the dog is tied up (I'd hate to do that when they're not answering my calls).

Thanks.

I'd start by notifying AC. The dog will likely be back every time he gets off leash from this point on. He now knows you have delicious, squeaky, chew toys at your house. Then I'd have a word with the neighbors. Stress the importance of keeping their dog contained. Back that with the information that you will be presenting them with a bill should you lose any birds to their dog. Then I'd make a cup of coffee and watch some Chicken TV with the weapon of your choice readily available. I hate shooting animals, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Glad you didn't lose any this morning. Good luck.

I would call animal control, too. See if they can come out and grab him. Then there's a fine for them if they pick him up.

Quote:
That's what I'd do too, since it a first offense. AND it will draw attention to the fact that the dog is kept chained "almost always". That's an inhumane way of controlling a dog who hasn't been trained. If nothing else they need a $200.00 chainlink kennel on a concrete pad for it.

Labs are sweet dogs, but untrained ones will go into a killing frenzy in a heartbeat. Good luck, hope they work with you.

Quote:
That procedure you quote is actually from a different section and is totally optional unless you want the authorities to operate under the dangerous dog portion of the statutes, if they didn't witness the action they need a written complaint to take action.

You didn't need that, you could have simply shot the dog. What you do with the dog after that depends upon you.

Quote:
That's what I'd do too, since it a first offense. AND it will draw attention to the fact that the dog is kept chained "almost always". That's an inhumane way of controlling a dog who hasn't been trained. If nothing else they need a $200.00 chainlink kennel on a concrete pad for it.

Labs are sweet dogs, but untrained ones will go into a killing frenzy in a heartbeat. Good luck, hope they work with you.

x2!

Thanks for the advice. Animal control here is done by a local person in each town. Called my town office, got his name and number and have left him a message. This all happened at 6:45 AM so being that's it's over 3 hours later not much can be done I expect.

I'm really lucky I was home on a weekday - and that no chickens had jumped the fence this morning. I usually let them free range too, when I'm at home - lucky I didn't this morning. However until I know this dog is contained, I won't be letting them out. I'll still continue to free range in the future - I'm ok with losing a few to predators .... well not OK but it makes them happier so I'd rather them be happy and live a slightly shorter life. However, knowing that this predator is out there I can't let them out now. Guh.

Guess I'll go stack the wood I've been needing (but not wanting) to stack all week. Armed, of course.

Next question: .22, .12 or .410? This is so horrible to even think about but I don't want the dastardly dog to suffer, either. I'm leaning towards .22 so the spray doesn't take any poultry out, either which would defeat the purpose.

As a Lab owner, I'd be willing to bet that a loud bang will scare it off. If I even yell at my untrained Lab,
roll.png
, he will crouch and slink away for hours. ETA, I shot a possum that was killing my hens one night. Took forever to get the Lab to come out of hiding. Since you sorta know the girlfriend and have met the guy, I say give them a chance to straighten it out. Meanwhile, stack wood and keep the butthead dog away from the chickens. My chickens rarely free range anymore because of feral dogs- them? Yeah, I'll shoot them. But someone's pet and you sorta know the people? Nah, I'd give them another chance.

If you can grab the dog and lock it up, that would get their attention, and give you a chance to reiterate that good fences make good neighbors. They're probably in phone contact right now, trying to figure out who can get off work early and go get the dog rounded up!

Last edited:
Animal Control Officer was very nice but pretty much said unless I had the dog currently on my property he can't do much. If it comes back I'm to "contain" it until he can get here.
Riiiight. Not after I saw the way it ran off like a speeding bullet this morning after I ran out of the house screaming and flailing my arms.
He's going to go make sure the neighbor guy has a dog permit (everyone up here has to) but other than that I'm on my own.

I also want to reiterate that I don't want to shoot this dog... I know the people, they're nice, reasonable adults as far as I'm concerned. I never want to end a life if the situation doesn't dictate, but...

Back
Top Bottom