Neighbor gave me chickens and they keep running away

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lott3944, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Lott3944

Lott3944 New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    My neighbor gave me 17 hens ranging from 1yr to 2yrs. They just moved in Their coop wasn't setup well enough for the chickens to stay safe and warm in the winter. About 6 of the chicken keep going back to their old home. I will leave them in the coop for a few days in hopes that they will learn the coop is their new home. As soon as I let them out to free range, they back to the neighbors and I have to pick them up again at night. The neighbor doesn't feed or water them anymore. Does anyone know a way to get the chickens to stay? Thanks!

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    The only thing I can think of is to keep them locked up in the run, even if you have to build a temporary one and keep them in it for several weeks. Hopefully that will make them forget their old home and stay at yours.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I would keep them locked up for a week or maybe two so they can figure out that is their new home.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Just keep them locked up with food and water for a few days so that they will know where home is.

5. Lott3944

Lott3944 New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    I had them locked in the coop + run for a week and they still ran away after that. I felt so bad because all the other chickens were locked in too. Now I built a smaller area where I can keep the one that run away locked in the coop while the others can still get out. I suppose I should try 2 weeks this time.

6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Keep them in their run for a couple weeks. Take away free choice food and manually feed them 2x a day inside the run. Feed once in the morning and late evening. When freeranged, continue to feed late evening. This should keep them coming back to their new home.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You'll have to keep them locked up in their coop and run for about two good weeks, until they feel like your home is their home.

That's really all you can do.

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    When recieving new birds, I quarintine for 10 days, then move into coop at night. Keep them in there for atleast a week so they know where to sleep, then let them out.

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    No real advice, just [​IMG]

10. Lott3944

Lott3944 New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I hope I can get them to stay in their new home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by