Neighbor gave me chickens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kello500, Jun 16, 2011.

1. kello500

kello500 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have been wanting to get chickens for some time now and have been reading up on the subject. Well, I came home one day and happened to drive back to the barn. While I was back there I heard crowing from my goat pen. [​IMG] My fiance and I just looked at each other and knew right away what had happened. My neighbor bought chickens and dropped them off. They are not the kinds I was planning on getting but he's a nice guy so I couldn't say no.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me identify them. When he came and talked to us he said he thought the rooster was a 'Red Rock'. He didn't remember what kinds the hens were. Is a Red Rock a cross between a Plymouth Rock & RIR?

Here is the rooster. He has pink-white legs and black feathers on his tail.

A brown hen with yellow legs and flecks of black in wing area.

A black hen with feathered legs. The feathers on the bottom of the legs are white tipped. Also, random blue feathers in the wings.

And the last one. This one is black with a small black comb. Random blue feathers in the wings.

I am still learning about chickens so any suggestions are welcome too.

2. snowburton8

snowburton8 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    Are you sure the third one with feathered feat is a hen? That looks like a total rooster! Also the last black ones look like Black Austrolaps!
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Just guessing but I think you have a new hampshire roo, production red pullet, cochin hen, and a black ? pullet.
  4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    If the feet on the last ones tan, then its a black australorp! you got a great neighbor!!
  5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    Here's what I think:

1- Buff Orpington (beautiful feathers and the hens are good layers)
    2- Rhode Island Red (very good layer)
    3- Cochin (all around awesome bird)
    4- Black Australorp (great layer)
  6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I wish my neighbor would give me chickens!!! [​IMG]
  7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Quote:x2, nice neighbor! Have fun, and any questions, ANY, none are silly, ask...we are all here and learning from each other!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by