Neighbor girl wanted chickens to play together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Frannabelle, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Cute little girl from next door knocked on my door and had her little silkie chicken in her arms and asked if "Puff" could play with my chickens.
    It was so cute! I told her that chickens are like mean girls at school, they will pick on her and it wouldn't be any fun for "Puff".

I've been giving this girl lot's of chicken advice lately. Her chickens laid the first egg and she told me her Dad said they have to wait 24 hours so it will harden up. Huh? Explained that to her as well

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, that's pretty cute... wonder why the dad said they had to wait for the egg to harden... maybe it was a soft shell egg and he doesn't know it isn't normal...

Still, really cute. ♥

Jenny

3. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I assumed that the egg was just a weird soft shell too, that's what I told her and that the other eggs will be hard from the minute they're laid.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Could be he just flat out had no idea and made a fool out of himself.

That reminds me of a happening where a man's wife always cut off the very tip of a roast before she cooked it. The husband asked why. The reply was my mother did. So he asked why did she. No idea. Then they as the mother why she did. She said her mother always did. No clue why. The she went to the the grandmother and ask her why. Was something wrong with the roast. She said no, the pan she cooked in was just that much to short. Things get handed down and a lot folks don't know why. Maybe the mans mother told him that.

I remember my mother never eating a banana untill she cut the tip of both ends off. I asked her why. She said a worm might be in it. I've never seen one so in there so I don't do it. Old habits are hard to break.[​IMG]

p

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    did you tell her "puff" needs her own friend who she can play with all the time?

Quote:

6. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Puff has 4 of her own chickie friends at home.

7. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:I assumed that the egg was just a weird soft shell too, that's what I told her and that the other eggs will be hard from the minute they're laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by