1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbor giving away pair of Embdens on eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by 4H kids and mom, May 31, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    A neighbor of mine bought his farm last September and "inherited" the geese left by the former owner. He knows nothing about geese, and wants to find them a home with someone who does. He estimates they are about a year and a half old. The former owner was a breeder, and tells him this is a male/female pair, and he only left them because he couldn't catch them when he was leaving. My new neighbor has gotten them to be quite good, and almost friendly.

They are currently sitting a nest, but he isn't sure the eggs are good. They are gentle for the most part, only hiss a little when you approach the nest, but if you pick them up they calm down and dont mind being carried around. He also has 2 bags of corn and feed to go along with them, 2 larger sized plastic kiddie pools, and some other things to give away to whomever takes the geese. He's not asking anything for them, only that they go to a good home or farm where they will get the things they need.

I would take them, but we #1) aren't set up for 'adult' geese yet, and #2) we already ordered our geese from the feed store that come in next Wednesday and I dont know how the older geese would treat the babies.

He is located just outside of Milton, Wi which is about 40 minutes from me. I'm right on the Wis/Ill border near Beloit, Janesville, and Rockford, Ill. If anyone wants these two, please let me know.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Just a little note...if you are getting goslings and these embdens are setting, you could very well slip the babies under them and they will raise your babies for you. just bring them home now and see if they continue to set.

3. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Hayward, Wisconsin
    I got a gander when my goslings and ducklings were just over a month old, and he leads them around the yard and protects them, but is very friendly towards ppl. They are really a joy to watch! Maybe you could at least try to bring them home? I would love to take them but I rarely get down that way and live about 5 hours north. Hope you find a good home for them!

4. Barb Schuetz

Barb Schuetz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    I'm actually looking for an adult pair of emden or buff geese. I live in Viroqua and travel to Madison frequently. Are they still looking for a home? If so, Is there a way to meet half way?

5. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Barb Schuetz.... We are about an hour from Madison, so it may be possible. Would Sunday afternoon work for you? I could pick them up and meet you, but I dont have anything to transport them in... Also, with them on eggs right now (by the way he has no clue wether the eggs are good or not because he know squat about geese.) they hiss a bit, but he says they a generally pretty nice once you pick them up and they dont bite or struggle to get away.

6. Barb Schuetz

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    I have a graduation to go to tomorrow in Middleton. I have no problem taking them then if you can make it there(?) however, I haven't figured out a way to transport them quite yet. 608-886-0512

7. Barb Schuetz

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    ok Marsha, here's what I've found out. Don't bother moving the eggs. I'm told she won't sit on them once she's moved. Feel free to hatch then yourself though. If I had an incubator(and wanted to mess with it) I could hatch them and she's take care of them. I finally opted to make my own poultry crate with some free scrap 2x4s and chicken wire for transport. I still have to find out about the peachicks(?) Will let you know!

8. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Cool. If they hatch, you can have them! I'll have my hands full with the ones I'm gettin on Wednesday! lol [​IMG] Ok, so now you have something to put them in (thats good!) now I just gotta figure out what I'M gonna put them in! lol [​IMG]

9. Barb Schuetz

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    Hey Marsha,
    Were you able to get ahold of him about tomorrow? I kind of need to know what's going on as to plan my day....I'll check this first thing in the morning but otherwise I won't plan on getting the geese tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by