Neighbor Has 165 layers in bad shape. (pics are a little gross)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Apr 28, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    My neighbor has a store so he produces a lot of eggs, and butchers for meat. Right now hes got 165 layers, 100 meat chicks, and it getting 400 more meat chicks by summer... And hes got 100 more layers comming! hes crazy. In his coop with the layers it isnt healthy in there. The smell in the layer coop is SO Strong, smells so sour and I bet you would get high off the smell. Hes got 4 roosters in the coop, one rooster is in bad shape, his foot is completely swellen and his spur is completly gone! and he was bleeding a lot, the few of the hens were pecking him. 99.9% of the hens are tore up, they have there back feathers missing ( I dont believe there getting over mated... 4 roos to 161 hens!) There are a few hens which barley 10 feathers on them,pretty much complety balled. There is about 2 inches of poop on the ground, nothing but poop. they have a run. With is a ok size. the coop is pretty crowded. when me and my cousin went in his coop, there was 2 dead hens on the ground whom died on being egg bound. Its really bad, but theres nothing I can do... Hes really nice man, he gives me hatching eggs for $3.00. Really busy too. but idk I want to do something but there is nothing I can do.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Miserable commercial operation, from what you say. [​IMG]

Where are you, where is Minong?

3. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    well I took a few pics Yesterday with my camera phone. There sucky pics but oh well.

Why you want to know where I am?

4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok, I dont have close ups on some of the inguries they have because I diddent want to get attacked by any of the roosters. They dead hens are on the ground in the corner so I dont have pics of them.
    the brown ground is straight poop.

PICTURES>>>>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    You could call animal control to do an inspection. Do they have any time out side or just kept in a building? They are pecking feathers because of lack of space. I am sure that they are not breathing great due to smell. I would figure out who to report to.

6. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    They are not free ranging, but they have a run its an "okay" size one. Im not sure if its big enough. They do pull each others feather out. I dont know if he feeds them enough either, about two 5 gallon bucket for the 165 birds.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Report it to AC or some other humane society and let them decide what to do. In the least they will get the owner to rectify the situation before the birds are taken.

8. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    Quote:I think it is so she can direct you to the appropriate persons to call. Its easy to get the right animal control or who ever is in charge of animal welfare in your area if we know the general location.

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Will my name be mentioned? Will My neighbor know it was me who called?

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I think it is so she can direct you to the appropriate persons to call. Its easy to get the right animal control or who ever is in charge of animal welfare in your area if we know the general location.

Yep, I don't even know if Minong is in the US. That makes a big difference.

I *think* most calls are kept anonymous, but in this day and age, between email tracking and Caller ID, it's hard to be anonymous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by