Neighbor is buying chicken feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MamiPollo, Jul 29, 2011.

1. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I have been letting my chickens free range in my backyard the past 3 or 4 weeks. It has been working fine for the most part.

I have an elderly neighbor on one side who has gotten interested in the chickens. He asks a lot of questions and I would see him standing in his backdoor watching them.

A couple of weeks ago he asked if he could throw some bread crumbs over the fence to them and I was envisioning some leftover toast or end pieces of stale bread. I said nothing with mold, no citrus, garlic, onions, etc. A few days later the chickens went running over to the fence when I let them out and started pecking the ground there.

Yesterday when I got home one of my hens was on his side of the fence. So glad I found her before his two dogs did! So I went and retrieved her and when I did I saw that he had a 50 lb back of poultry feed standing in the grass, just with the top folded down.

I am concerned about keeping this outside for numerous reasons. Is there any reason I should be concerned about him giving them actual feed? I am still feeding them start and grow, but they haven't been eating as much. They get stuff out of the yard and I bring them fruit, veggie and bread scraps. They are about 14 weeks old now.

I am so glad that my neighbor likes my chickens. I don't want to alienate him. Should I say anything to him aside from talking to him about not keeping the feed outside?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I'd think that as long as they also have access to your feed, they will be fine. Others may think differently. That sounds like a nice neighbor to have. Mine have offered to bring over fallen apples later this summer.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  3. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    You should let him know your chickens can hop the fence, so he uses care when he lets his dogs out. Sounds like he really likes them and would probably feel as bad as you would if his dogs hurt one.

4. Cryssie_Bou

Cryssie_Bou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    maybe you could suggest to him that he might want to keep the feed inside as to not attract raccoons and skunks etc as you are sure he wouldnt want his dogs getting in a fight with one of them ... make it appear to be in his best interest really..

Crysssie

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Tell him feeding the feed is fine, but he must keep the feed inside the house where it can not get wet. Once that feed gets wet from mildew or rain, mold will fester inside and could be devastating to your flock. He needs to keep it dry.

I think it's nice your neighbor takes interest in your birds. I think it's sweet he went out and bought the proper food for them. I'm sure he'll appreciate any extra fresh eggs from you.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:x2 people will look after their own but also let him know that the feed should be inside & dry or get him a small container to put it in. He will love those eggs " he helped make " gotta love it when other people are trying to help us . Yes I understand good intentions but work with his for the benefit of you both. [​IMG]

7. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I second what everyone else has posted. What a wonderful neighbor!

If it were my neighbor, I'd give him a metal trash can with a big red bow and a thank you note. I'd definitely mention the dogs to him though. My dogs are scared of my chickens but I'd still not leave them unattended together. He may not realize his dogs are even a threat.

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yup time to start education about care of chickens and some help on storing the food safely and before you know it there will be chickens next door, have you given him any eggs yet?

9. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Quote:I doubt they are laying at 14 weeks;-)

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:I doubt they are laying at 14 weeks;-)

Hehehehe didn't see that..... Likely not eh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by