Updates on the last pages: Neighbor is threatening me and my chickens

The most the zoning laws for the village say about poultry is that they’re categorized as livestock. The zoning laws were created in 2007. I didn’t realize they were that new. But the right to farm law was enacted in 2001. So I think the zoning laws don’t mention agriculture that much because we are a farming community. The right to farm law is in effect here.

I have already told him that if my chickens are on his property and his dog gets them he’s at no fault. That’s my fault. I told him that before any of this happened. I know there’s so many laws in NYS to protect farmers but this just has me so rattled. I actually found a plan for my county that protects agriculture, the agriculture and farmland protection plan. In it it specifies what qualifies as agriculture and small farms, hobby ones included, count. Even finding that doesn’t make me feel much better. This guy knows so many people in town and I feel like if he really wanted to he could work the system. 😞

But you guys are right. I need to relax and just breathe. I just don’t want to lose my chickens because this guy turned into an idiot. To him my chickens are stupid and shouldn’t be named. To me they’re a source of relaxation, entertainment and now income. He’s taken away one of those things and is trying to take away the others. Thank you all for your advice and kind words. It’s helped a lot. I will be reinforcing the fence and making sure no one can get out or in.
Yeah don’t worry about it. I know how frustrating neighbors can be. Our neighbors literally gossip about us and have complained at us for driving off “too quick” because their children are in the middle of the road as well as all of their toys and they rely on a sign to say “slow” so people don’t run over their kids because the parents are too busy talking and conversing. We told them you have your kids and toys literally in the middle of the road. This is no place for a park. Yet they still complained to us and haven’t changed one bit. They have parties in the middle of the street and it’s plain ridiculous - that’s where you drive. I’m sorry had to rant a bit because I absolutely know the feeling. We’re moving to somewhere with land so that will be nice to get away from our neighbors.

It feels like we can’t even drive off because we have to let their kids play and drive their toy cars in the road. We hate going outside of our house because our neighbors love to practically spy on us. They’ve set up ring doorbells and have one facing our house which is a little creepy. The only thing I can remember that we may have done wrong though is drive off too fast. My mom was irritated that day because of the neighbors. They complained and we never drove off too fast again. They still party and have everything in the middle of our road though. Just take a deep breathe and realize that you don’t need to talk to him, you don’t need to explain anything to him, and you don’t need to worry about having chickens. Your property, your right. I agree with you. Chickens are great to have! I name my chickens too and they make great pets. I even have chicken cuddles with all of them once in a while. Salmonella I know, I wash my hands after every time lol. My sister is disgusted every time I hold them though. But they’re my babies.

Don’t worry about it. Just relax and enjoy your chickens. That’s a good idea for reinforcing the fence. That should help to get rid of all the problems. Don’t worry about pleasing everyone because you most certainly can’t. It drains you down and you will never be happy. Trust me, I’ve tried pleasing everyone and now realize that no one will ever be happy and I won’t ever be happy. Obviously you want to be fair and just, but you need to do what’s best for you and makes you happy. So let it go and relax, enjoy those chickens of yours! 😊🐔

May I ask how old you are? You mentioned your mother. If my kid was being threatened by a drunk neighbor, i would go into mama bear mode and file harassment. Especially because it sounds like your neighbor is pulling info from his rear end. I consider myself very lucky that my closest neighbor 1) has chickens, also and 2) is actually our town dog control officer.

I live in East Durham, NY. Right to farm law applies. Dogs have to be licensed and on leash. Have to have rabies shots. Where in upstate NY are you?

He’s worried his dog will come into my yard and kill my chickens.

I looked up laws for New York and found this:

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ny-dangerous-dog-chapter-69-consolidated-laws

If the dog chases or kills chickens, there is a legal procedure that can be followed to declare the dog "dangerous" or to have the dog euthanized. If the dog is declared "dangerous," the owner must keep it confined or on leash, and must muzzle it in public places.

Any person who sees the dog chasing chickens could start that legal process. (Does not have to be the owner of the chickens.)

The dog's owner might be afraid of this happening, if his dog gets loose and chases your chickens.

I don't think there is anything you can do about the situation, other than making sure your chickens stay on your property, but I can see how it might make a dog owner nervous.

May I ask how old you are? You mentioned your mother. If my kid was being threatened by a drunk neighbor, i would go into mama bear mode and file harassment. Especially because it sounds like your neighbor is pulling info from his rear end. I consider myself very lucky that my closest neighbor 1) has chickens, also and 2) is actually our town dog control officer.

I live in East Durham, NY. Right to farm law applies. Dogs have to be licensed and on leash. Have to have rabies shots. Where in upstate NY are you?
I live in the house I grew up in and am over 30. I bought this house from my mother and she lives with me and my family. So she knows all the neighbors because she’s been here for so long.

I’m in Esperance NY. The village not the town. Dogs are supposed to be registered here too but no one does it. The right to farm law applies in the village and the town.

I looked up laws for New York and found this:

https://www.animallaw.info/statute/ny-dangerous-dog-chapter-69-consolidated-laws

If the dog chases or kills chickens, there is a legal procedure that can be followed to declare the dog "dangerous" or to have the dog euthanized. If the dog is declared "dangerous," the owner must keep it confined or on leash, and must muzzle it in public places.

Any person who sees the dog chasing chickens could start that legal process. (Does not have to be the owner of the chickens.)

The dog's owner might be afraid of this happening, if his dog gets loose and chases your chickens.

I don't think there is anything you can do about the situation, other than making sure your chickens stay on your property, but I can see how it might make a dog owner nervous.

Thank you for this. I tried looking up dog laws in NYS but there are so many. I wasn’t sure what to look for. I also didn’t get why he would be so scared about my chickens. But it does sound like he can’t control his dog and is afraid she will kill my chickens. He’s always just let his dogs run loose in his yard, which isn’t fenced, and now he’s upset he might not be able to do that. I just wish people could be adults about things instead of threatening each other. Talking to me would have gotten him so much farther.

Yeah don’t worry about it. I know how frustrating neighbors can be. Our neighbors literally gossip about us and have complained at us for driving off “too quick” because their children are in the middle of the road as well as all of their toys and they rely on a sign to say “slow” so people don’t run over their kids because the parents are too busy talking and conversing. We told them you have your kids and toys literally in the middle of the road. This is no place for a park. Yet they still complained to us and haven’t changed one bit. They have parties in the middle of the street and it’s plain ridiculous - that’s where you drive. I’m sorry had to rant a bit because I absolutely know the feeling. We’re moving to somewhere with land so that will be nice to get away from our neighbors.

It feels like we can’t even drive off because we have to let their kids play and drive their toy cars in the road. We hate going outside of our house because our neighbors love to practically spy on us. They’ve set up ring doorbells and have one facing our house which is a little creepy. The only thing I can remember that we may have done wrong though is drive off too fast. My mom was irritated that day because of the neighbors. They complained and we never drove off too fast again. They still party and have everything in the middle of our road though. Just take a deep breathe and realize that you don’t need to talk to him, you don’t need to explain anything to him, and you don’t need to worry about having chickens. Your property, your right. I agree with you. Chickens are great to have! I name my chickens too and they make great pets. I even have chicken cuddles with all of them once in a while. Salmonella I know, I wash my hands after every time lol. My sister is disgusted every time I hold them though. But they’re my babies.

Don’t worry about it. Just relax and enjoy your chickens. That’s a good idea for reinforcing the fence. That should help to get rid of all the problems. Don’t worry about pleasing everyone because you most certainly can’t. It drains you down and you will never be happy. Trust me, I’ve tried pleasing everyone and now realize that no one will ever be happy and I won’t ever be happy. Obviously you want to be fair and just, but you need to do what’s best for you and makes you happy. So let it go and relax, enjoy those chickens of yours! 😊🐔

Your neighbors sound like a bunch of jerks too. I could never let my kids just leave their crap in the road. There’s a small dead end road across from my house that the neighborhood kids play in. My kids don’t. Not without looking for cars first. It’s just common sense safety. Teach it to them young and they’ll remember it later.

I guess I am trying to please him. Or at least make the situation better. I grew up being hated so as an adult I try to get along with the people who are nice to me. It’s hard on my anxiety when someone has an issue with me. My anxiety gets so bad I feel like throwing up sometimes. I always want whatever issue it is to be resolved. But I know there are just some that can’t be.

Oh mercy, dealing with a drunk. I don't envy you. Trust me, you can't expect him to make sense. That's why he literally doesn't, and there's also a better than even chance that he doesn't even remember half of your encounters or conversations. (Ask me how I know: way too many alcoholics in my family.) Anyway, try to dial back your anxiety if you can. This guy's bark is probably worse than his bite. Do what you can to protect your birds and go about your business. If he messes with you, be too busy to talk to him. You know: "oops, sorry, can't talk now, I have a casserole in the oven, talk later!" And dash in the house. He'll think you'll get together later then forget all about it. "Yeah, sorry, can't talk now!" Every. Single. Time. Just don't get sucked in. If he's really serious about making trouble for you, let him do it in writing. But until he actually brings an action against you (I'm betting he won't), don't worry about it. It'll get thrown out of court anyway. You're doing nothing wrong. And then you can probably file a restraining order against him.

So my neighbor is a drunk and has been for 30 some odd years. My mom says to ignore him. He has been acting nice to me now but then right after acting mean again. My mom says it’s something called wet brain and has to do with drunkards. Talking to this guy is giving me whiplash. I’m trying to ignore him but he’s trying to make “pleasant” conversation with one minute then biting my head off. 😡 I wish this all didn’t feel so damn crazy.
I know an old lady like this.. she acts all nice and concerned but then says the rudest damn things to me. She's a retired teacher and always makes some jabs about me homeschooling my boys. We are born again Christians, but she thinks we might go to hell because we don't go to her church. And on and on.
She's a nasty snatch and I avoid her like the plague and I'm so so so glad she is not my neighbor, lol. :lau
I feel for you, I really do. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom