Neighbor killed one of my birds

bandbaustin

Crowing
13 Years
May 21, 2009
Valparaiso, IN
Long story short, my blackshoulder male got out cause I didn't latch the door all the way. It wandered into the neighbors yard and he shot and killed it. His son posted it on facebook which is how I found out. I called him out on it and he has offered to compensate me for it. In our conversation he complained about the noise and said that my free range India Blue has scratched his girlfriends car. His dog has come over here the last few years and has killed probably about a thousand dollars worth of chickens over the years but I overlooked it trying to be the good neighbor. I am at a loss of what to do. He has offered to compensate me but should I leave it at that. I hate to lose my birds due to his noise complaints. What would you do???

In life we all have to choose what sort of persons we ought to be. Having a good relationship with neighbors has always been a priority of mine. But each of us must choose our own course.

You stated that your chicken was in his yard when he shot it. And that he complained of another chicken scratching his girlfriends car (I'm assuming also on his property) recently. And he complained of the noise. Based on this neighbors complaints (seem legit to me) I would make sure my chickens were kept in a run so that this could not happen again. Apologizing stinks. I would not ask for any compensation for the bird killed on his property.

I would however ask for compensation if a dog came onto my property and killed my chickens. I think that is only fair.

Hope the best for ya.

Peacocks not chickens. HE did tell me I could shoot his dog if it came on my property cause she is getting old and hes tired of feeding her. My argument was all he had to do was call me and i would have came over and got the bird. The noise issue is a given but really only during breeding season. First I had ever heard of the car and how do I know it was my bird and not his dog jumping on the car.

Long story short, my blackshoulder male got out cause I didn't latch the door all the way. It wandered into the neighbors yard and he shot and killed it. His son posted it on facebook which is how I found out. I called him out on it and he has offered to compensate me for it. In our conversation he complained about the noise and said that my free range India Blue has scratched his girlfriends car. His dog has come over here the last few years and has killed probably about a thousand dollars worth of chickens over the years but I overlooked it trying to be the good neighbor. I am at a loss of what to do. He has offered to compensate me but should I leave it at that. I hate to lose my birds due to his noise complaints. What would you do???
I'd call the police and/or The Department of Fish and Game and find out what the laws are on shooting birds.

-Kathy

Bandbaustin I feel for ya. I would not do that to a neighbor either. It is so much better to take care of a loose animal of a neighbor than to shoot it. Maybe you can convince him that the loss of your peafowl are far exceeds the value of his dog. If he is reasonable then the problem can be resolved. If he is not reasonable then make sure to keep your birds more secure. Otherwise he may take pleasure in seeing your birds be eliminated.

You might check with law enforcement on this one. I know you are allowed to shoot to defend your animals, property, etc but how threatened could he have been by a peacock?

I'm so sorry about your boy. This is so infuriating.

When my neighbor killed three of our peacocks by scattering d-con around on the ground (because it "didn't occur to him that the peacocks might eat it"), I did some research and found that it's very difficult to take action against people who kill your animals.
Often this is because it's hard to prove what they did, how they did it, and why.
I strongly suggest that you print out, or take screen shots of, your neighbor's son's facebook page which could be valuable evidence if you ever did decide to try and report your neighbor or take any action against him.

I would also suggest that you don't take any money from him, or at least until you're sure how you want to proceed; taking money may constitute some kind of informal agreement clearing him of responsibility.

*Edited to add:
And, by the way, what kind of creep would say that you could shoot his dog if it came on your property because "she is getting old and he's tired of feeding her"? Creepy.

Last edited:
Long story short, my blackshoulder male got out cause I didn't latch the door all the way. It wandered into the neighbors yard and he shot and killed it.  His son posted it on facebook which is how I found out. I called him out on it and he has offered to compensate me for it.  In our conversation he complained about the noise and said that my free range India Blue has scratched his girlfriends car.  His dog has come over here the last few years and has killed probably about a thousand dollars worth of chickens over the years but I overlooked it trying to be the good neighbor.  I am at a loss of what to do. He has offered to compensate me but should I leave it at that. I hate to lose my birds due to his noise complaints. What would you do???

I'd call the police and/or The Department of Fish and Game and find out what the laws are on shooting birds.

-Kathy

x2

So sorry about your loss.

I'm so sorry about your boy. This is so infuriating.

When my neighbor killed three of our peacocks by scattering d-con around on the ground (because it "didn't occur to him that the peacocks might eat it"), I did some research and found that it's very difficult to take action against people who kill your animals.
Often this is because it's hard to prove what they did, how they did it, and why.
I strongly suggest that you print out, or take screen shots of, your neighbor's son's facebook page which could be valuable evidence if you ever did decide to try and report your neighbor or take any action against him.

I would also suggest that you don't take any money from him, or at least until you're sure how you want to proceed; taking money may constitute some kind of informal agreement clearing him of responsibility.

*Edited to add:
And, by the way, what kind of creep would say that you could shoot his dog if it came on your property because "she is getting old and he's tired of feeding her"? Creepy.

I totally agree! Great Idea! :thumbsup

I've no doubt my neighbor would shoot my peacock if he wandered over there...he shoots great blue herons, sandhill cranes, Canada geese and any mammal that he can get a bead on...I know, because he throws the carcasses into the woods behind our adjoining properties, and my dogs drag them home. fortunately, Argos the Kool has kept his territory on my property...some people are just sphincters, and there isn't much you can do besides penning up your birds ;~(

Back
Top Bottom