Neighbor needs help... Little hen lathargic and laying on side

kellyjo8437

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Dunnellon
Neighbor just showed me one of her hens. She is about 7 months. Small. I don't know what breed. Looks like a silkie mix????
Poor thing is laying on it's side, feet out and not moving unless prodded.
Legs/feet look okay.
Neighbor has one of my dog crates so she can put her by herself was with two mutt hens that lay brown eggs and seem healthy.
Is there anything she can do? I told her to give the hen an egg but that is about the extent of my medical knowledge besides antibiotics lol
Any advice is appreciated!

Are the feet doing a split or just hanging on one side? Is she able to eat and drink? is there any other signs? Have you check over her wings? perhaps a dog bite or something? Perhaps Marek's, Is she leaning on just one side all the time or does it happen to both sides? can she use her legs at all? or are the just straight and stiff? I would check her over, look for mites, or any tiny insects on her? Sit her up right and see if she falls over on the same side all the time, check her wings, check her legs really good check the bottom of her feet, check her breathing and eyes..

Are the feet doing a split or just hanging on one side? Is she able to eat and drink? is there any other signs? Have you check over her wings? perhaps a dog bite or something? Perhaps Marek's, Is she leaning on just one side all the time or does it happen to both sides? can she use her legs at all? or are the just straight and stiff? I would check her over, look for mites, or any tiny insects on her? Sit her up right and see if she falls over on the same side all the time, check her wings, check her legs really good check the bottom of her feet, check her breathing and eyes..

She was limping... Her one foot or leg. When shes laying her feet are together not split. I will go over and look at her. I did not see anything wrong with her but will look for bugs. Her wings seemed fine... Truth I was looking more at her feet and legs. She did eat some egg. She will get up and limp if bothered but seems to prefer to just lie there. Will update in a few....

Perfect, then I'm sure it's not marek's, could be a sore muscle, did she jump or fly off of something and land wrong. Silkies don't fly but they will take a good flying leap if they are on something high off the ground which they can easily hurt themself and even cause death..

Perfect, then I'm sure it's not marek's, could be a sore muscle, did she jump or fly off of something and land wrong. Silkies don't fly but they will take a good flying leap if they are on something high off the ground which they can easily hurt themself and even cause death..
I don't see any type of bugs, mites or otherwise. Jumping is really not probable as the cage they are in is kind of small. Like a rabbit cage with no legs, made of wire, wood frame, roof but only a few feet tall and about five foot wide. Def a limp though, she doesn't want to use that leg. She flaps when picked up and her butt is clean though poo is runny. But that may be due to lack of food from not moving? Her eyes, nose and ears all look clean and her comb seems nice and red. Hopefully she just buggered her leg and doesn't want to move. Can we do anything for her? I told neighbor to keep food and water right next to her for easy reaching. And she is inside and alone for now as she was being stepped on by her cage mates.

What does the floor look like, could she have gotten her foot stuck in the holes of the bottom of the wired cage? and tried to get it out and while pulling on the leg sprained it? If it's nothing obsivious, I would just keep her quiet for a couple of days, see if the soreness goes away. Doesn't sound like anything majorly serious unless you can see some sort of deep wound...

Sorry just reread your last post, if she's been stepped on, then my guess would be her leg is very sore or could even be out of place. Will she use it at all?? Does it look swelled or anything. Try taken her leg and feeling around it perhaps she broke it?? if not, then I would just keep her quiet and away from the others for a few days. She will probably over come this. I wouldn't give her anything because you really don't know what the problem is. You could try some polyvisol but I don't think its really going to do much for her leg but it will give her an appetite that is if she's not eating, and I think you said she is. My guess would be it's sore and will feel a little bit better each day as long as she is not being stepped on by the others... I know B-2 is good for legs, if you have some drop a pill in the water but really i don't think it's necessary. I would just let her rest quietly..

What does the floor look like, could she have gotten her foot stuck in the holes of the bottom of the wired cage? and tried to get it out and while pulling on the leg sprained it? If it's nothing obsivious, I would just keep her quiet for a couple of days, see if the soreness goes away. Doesn't sound like anything majorly serious unless you can see some sort of deep wound...

Sorry just reread your last post, if she's been stepped on, then my guess would be her leg is very sore or could even be out of place. Will she use it at all?? Does it look swelled or anything. Try taken her leg and feeling around it perhaps she broke it?? if not, then I would just keep her quiet and away from the others for a few days. She will probably over come this. I wouldn't give her anything because you really don't know what the problem is. You could try some polyvisol but I don't think its really going to do much for her leg but it will give her an appetite that is if she's not eating, and I think you said she is. My guess would be it's sore and will feel a little bit better each day as long as she is not being stepped on by the others... I know B-2 is good for legs, if you have some drop a pill in the water but really i don't think it's necessary. I would just let her rest quietly..
The floor is just dirt. And some leaves. No signs of animals. No blood, no injuries that are visible. When I move/feel the leg I don't feel anything, and she doesn't fuss about... About 45 minutes ago I got an update she is eating some bread and egg very goooood appetite. Plus drinking water. But still just laying on her side. Maybe she got lethargic from not eating/drinking cause she didn't want to move to where the feed and water bowls were? Hopefully with some food and water in her belly and no one stepping on her she will be feeling better soon. I will update in a day or two. Thank you so much for the info from me and neighbor both :)

UPDATE: the little hen looks a lot more alert but is not making any attempts to move. She lays there in the same spot, even after pooping she does not bother to find a clean spot. She is eating and drinking and now looks around and up at you. Not making any noises. Still see no swelling/injuries. When we stand her up and nudge her to walk she does, but limps.

I agree. Kellyjo, tell your neighbor to confine her in a small cage with feed and water. You want to limit the birds movement for about 5 days, giving time for the injury to heal, if that's what it is. Excessive walking or standing can further injure the leg. Adding vitamin B complex to the feed might help speed up recovery. Crush a few tablets into powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat. Hopefully this will help her walk normal again. Time heals these types of injuries.

Back
Top Bottom