1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbor needs help, one dead hen and one sick hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hermie and the chicks, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hermie and the chicks

Hermie and the chicks New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Been a while since I was on here. Got a neighbor with a problem and since she dosen't have internet I volunteered mine. She had a hen who had a large breast that felt like a water balloon. The hen was stretching her throat and opening her mouth like she wanted something to come out. A watery substance did come up out of her. We tried massaging her throat and croop and I held her upside down to see if more would come out. None did. She was very lethargic and would not move. Had her eyes closed but was still breathing/gasping. I thought she might have something caught in her croop/neck but I did not feel anything. She died a few minutes later. My neighbor would like to find out what this is so she can treat another hen who seems to have the same problem but is still moving and eating. Anybody got any ideas/suggestions as to what this is and what to do?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Could be worms or gape worms.

3. Hermie and the chicks

Hermie and the chicks New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yeah we thought of worms. Got the whole flock on dewormer. Thanks.

4. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    If it is Gapeworm, the dewormer to use is fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur). Other dewormers probably won't work.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Safeguard and panacur are the same thing...fenbendazole. Levimisole is the preferred treatment for gapeworm. Valbazen (albendazole) will kill them as well.
    Hermie, I believe your neighbors hen that died had an impacted crop, not gapeworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by