Neighbor Rooster Woes

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mandelyn, Nov 21, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Caddy-corner to us the neighbors have chickens too. Currently, there's no ban against them, but I'm worried one may come about with our rooster "drama".

They have two roosters, one standard, one Bantam. I have one Bantam. Over the past couple of months, there havn't been any issues. That changed... coincidentally? when my girls started laying. The first time the neighbor rooster hopped our fence, it only happened once. The 2nd time, 3 times in one morning. My rooster is a sissy and appreciates that I'm in charge, since I've been fighting his battles for him and chasing this other rooster back over the fence.

Then there's the crowing! My word, this guy is... ardent? My girls will never leave with him, they don't even act curious the couple times he'd been in the yard. But he won't shut-up!! My rooster, bless his little sissy heart, doesn't respond the same way. For every 5 crows from the neighbor, mine crows once. Usually I hold him for several minutes to end the crow "battle".

This morning, neighbor rooster came trucking through the other neighbors yard, stood on the other side crowing his fool head off, before finally flying over. I chased him off, and he's not scared of me... he just comes back. He did, this time right up against the neighbors house, standing on the divider fence, looking through a crack. Then he popped down into our front/side yard.

So, I decided to get serious with him. I leashed up my trusty guard dog Ricca, who knows several handy commands and has wicked cool control on leash, perfect heel, excellent focus.

We walk around front to where he is, I tell Ricca our key word of "stranger, not ours" and her ears flick up and she focuses on him. Cool! Works on birds too, not just people. She knew what I was talking about even on a new "subject". Her chicken training consisted of "ignore"... but it seemed she put two and two together knowing that wasn't our rooster.

So we approach, and the rooster gets panicy, I've noticed that chickens recognize indiduals, dogs, humans, kids... ect. Ricca most definately wasn't the usual Doberman the rooster lives with. So he goes home. And I mean HOME! He ran his little heart out, up over the fence, across the yard, back into his yard, and back to his coop. Hilarious! If it had been just me he would have walked 10 feet away and crowed some more. So maybe he got the point to last a couple days or more. I know roosters "forget".

But thinking long-term, should I offer to take this Rooster? He looks like he's "mean", would prolly rough up my girls. Plus he beat up my rooster, so I'd have to cage him seperate. Or simply demand they keep track of him? But then there'd still be crow battles. If I take him, I could re-home him or make some dog stew in chicken flavor. Send my least favorite bantam hen over so that he has a hen his size? Their hens are all standards.

All I know is I'm getting pretty tired of chasing him back over the fence and listening to his obnoxious little mouth.

I watched his behavior when he returned home after Ricca's help, and he courted his own girls without interuption from the Standard rooster... so it's not like the standard rooster has got him in line with no hen rights. What does he want mine for? Jealousy? LOL... My rooster has 5 girls all to himself, this other one has to share something like 6 hens.

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Funny story! I don't know the answer to your rooster problem, but I certainly envy you your dog! We have a golden lab/retreiver mix who's either dumb as a post or cagey as a fox. She's trainable, we just have to do it every day.

Sorry to hijack your post. Return to subject and good luck with the roo!

3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Every day training is what get's them like Ricca... She just turned 3, and let me tell you, she's only just now "perfect". First you have to go through "stupid puppy", "bull-headed teenager", "Boy crazy" followed by a spay, then back down to business, then around 2 1/2-3 years old, they're pretty good. It's why there's a whole bunch of dogs homeless around 8 months to 1 1/2 years old. Patience and consistancy!

Now back to this rooster problem. I'm thinking a chat with the neighbor atleast to see what they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by