Neighbor with weird feeding habits

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I went by to check out her new chicks . and she was outside feedign and OMG she was feeding her chickens " dog food " of all things .

Anybody ever hear of such a thing ? I laughed and asked if the rooster was barking instead of crowing ? :)

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    there is a theory and some people swear by it, that dog food increases egg production. ( high proteins etc)
    as a treat it is okay, but chows are made specific for the animal intended.

i don't think they'll bark, but they might sit up and beg!!![​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Cat food would be better for high protein boost once a week.

4. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    I would shun cat and dog foods as they tend to contain chicken protein, and I don't really feel like starting Mad Chicken disease. It's bad for an species to eat protein from the meat of the same species. It's takes a while for the symptoms to manifest themselves, but doing so can cause proteins to grow in the brain of the consuming creature that start eating the brain away. This is what causes the erratic behavior in the cows that are suffering from it, and it has also happened to certain native tribes in the Andes mountains. The proteins can also be passed on to the young en utero. I don't know how it be effected by egg bearing species, but you could still have the problems of brain damage in the ones eating it.

All that said, it reminds me of that episode of Life Goes On where Corky got fussed at for feeding a pig bacon.... it's just wrong [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Not all cat food contains chicken by-products.

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    what about dog food ?

7. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    wow, we feed our chickens chicken all the time. They love it! And I give them the turkey carcas(sp) and they pick it clean. Not a good idea I guess

8. belibutn

belibutn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    East TN
    Very true. I should have stated it other wise. You could just have to do a lot of label checking if you want to use it.

9. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    [​IMG] I have heard of people feeding their chickens cat food, but not dog food. I have about 25 baby chicks, and consequently a puppy too. I tried giving them a few kernels of the puppy chow, but they seemed to ignore it. Frustratingly enough though, the puppy seems most inclined to want to EAT the CHICKENS instead of his own dog food. He's already mauled one and after a swift swat, has since given them a wide berth.

Who says you can't teach a young dog new trix???

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I dunno, dog food does not sound like a totally illogical food for chickens. It's usually got a fair bit of corn etc in there, plus meat protein which is also a natural part of the chicken diet.

Now, I myself would not be feeding commercial dogfood to MY chickens, for pretty much the same reason I would not feed them Cheetos and such -- most dogfood (certainly anything cheap enough you're going to toss it to chickens) contains huge amounts of colorants, salt, additives, preservatives, etcetera that I don't personally want going thru to my chickens' eggs.

BUT, aside from that (and the whole 'should chickens eat chicken-meat' question, which can be debated til the cows come home) it really doesn't seem so strange.

JMHO,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by