Neighborhood cat gang

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sshore, Jun 10, 2016.

1. sshore

sshore Just Hatched

Jun 10, 2016
    So recently a group of neighborhood cats has been messing with my chickens. I have a super small flock of three and they so far haven't had any real issues with the cats but it makes me a little nervous how interested these cats are in my chickens. I personally keep chasing the cats out of my yard when I see them but I can't be here all the time. I was thinking about adding a goose to my flock to help keep the chickens safe? Does that seem like a good idea?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you could if you think you'd be able to handle the goose (i've never had one myself but i've heard they can be aggressive)

3. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    We have chinese geese and only time theyre aggressive at all is when they have a nest or small goslings.
    We also have a cat gang problem here. Mostly one family across the road that believes you cant have enough wild cats apparently. Im talking 30 or 40 at times.
    Ive not had much issues with adult birds but have lost countless chicks and juveniles.
    We have chickens, ducks, geese, guineas and turkeys and none of them do anything to scare off cats.
    I was catching and relocating them to a shelter one year but now i just kill them, catch then kill them and we have a dog now that kills them on sight.
    Still hard to get rid of them faster than they breed them.
    I felt bad about it for a while but when youve lost $100s in chicks kinda changes your mind about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. sshore

sshore Just Hatched

Jun 10, 2016
    Yeah I can understand how that would be infuriating. These cats are clearly someone's mishandled pets though so I'm not going to take any real action against them just protect my chickens. I would love to let my dog keep them safe but she'd help the cats eat the chickens if given the chance.

5. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Best thing is to have your own cat or dog. My cats chase out unwanted stary cats stalking my hens coop and run. There is this one cat in particular thats huge! Comes around a lot. I have two cats one is very small but mighty. She keeps the cat out of the yard. My cat also sprays the fence and marks the area. Maybe getting your own cat or dog?

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    If you have full grown birds I wouldn't worry about it. Cats don't have that much nerve.
    A goose may honk & hiss at a cat that comes in your yard but won't do much as far as being a cat repeller.

7. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    I would purchase a quality live trap. They run ~$30.
    Then once caught bring them to the pound or dispatch them.
    Since studies show domesticated cats to be the # 1 killers of small game worldwide I personally would humanely dispatch them.
    Knowing I am saving nature's critters as well as my own.
    Domesticated cats should not be allowed to free roam like this.
    If their owners cared for them they wouldn't be running free!
    Do the world a favor and remove these predators even if just to the local pound or animal shelter.
    I wouldn't be surprised if these cats killed your chicks or even adult chickens just for fun.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/29/170588511/killer-kitties-cats-kill-billions-every-year

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. a704

a704 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    NE ohio
    Might not be the most popular opinion but I would just lol the cats until the other one learn to stay away, like any preditor they will just keep returning to the easy food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by