Neighborhood cat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DangerChickenHouse, Sep 14, 2011.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I live in a very urban setting. My chickens do not have a big open yard to roam. Yesterday, they were hanging out under the hydrainga bush. When I went to check on them, I found the neighbor's cat laying about 20 feet from them in the grass. The cat was just watching and seemed really chill. But, I'm new to the chicken thing, so I need to ask: Is the cat going to try and kill my chickens?

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Most likely not, a few people on here have had a problem. But I have 7 cats and the chickens free-range (even have had broodys raise chicks) with no problems.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Cats are not usually a threat to full grown LF. They will usually put cats in their place. If your chickens are small or chicks, you should be cautious. Do you know if the neighbor's cat is a hunter/killer?

Imp

4. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    The cat is a mouse, rat, and bird hunter. Does that make a difference?

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Be cautious, but the risk is mimimal. I have 6 feral/stray/house cats, none have ever looked askance at the chicks or chickens.
    They will run the cats off their food. I have to protect the cats from the hens.
    Have had just about every cat in the neighborhood come for a look see a no problems.

Imp- if it makes you nervous, run the cat off.

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Most likely not, a few people on here have had a problem. But I have 7 cats and the chickens free-range (even have had broodys raise chicks) with no problems.

I do not recommend telling someone the risk is minimal, I have been around chickens 55 years and have seen many chicks and pullets killed and full grown hens injured severely. I would be very cautious and if not your cat why is it even in your yard?

If you do a search here you will find more than just a "few" instances of cat attacks....

Just because it has not happened to you YET (key word capitalized) Does not mean it does not happen and cat attacks are very common!​

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

We have 2 cats that go outside and never had a problem with them. The oldest one (now about 7ish) will lay ontop of the brooders and watch the babies. I would feel totally safe putting her in with chicks and I know 100% she would be fine with them. She's a great cat.

We also have a couple cats that come around, never had a problem with them either.

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:I do not recommend telling someone the risk is minimal, I have been around chickens 55 years and have seen many chicks and pullets killed and full grown hens injured severely. I would be very cautious and if not your cat why is it even in your yard?

If you do a search here you will find more than just a "few" instances of cat attacks....

Just because it has not happened to you YET (key word capitalized) Does not mean it does not happen and cat attacks are very common!

I've keep cats my whole life and chickens for over three years, the cats give way to chickens and many a times they will share bread and other treats. And I've had broodys running around with 3 day old chicks and I never lost one. I'm sharing my experience and you are sharing yours the OP should take all in to consideration and with a grain of salt and make their own decision.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Listen to most of us when we say cats don't normally attack. 3 cats + several neighbour cats.

My chickens chase them away. They free range. Dogs are a bigger problem IMO.

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have people dump cats off close to here from time to time and it doesn't take very long before the cats learn to just pass the chickens up. The girls convince them pretty quick that they and their chicks are not easy meals. If you have bantams, maybe there's more of a fear, but cats normally aren't much of a problem. Yes, it could happen. But I'd place them at the lowest rung of the risk ladder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by