neighborhood covenant says no poultry

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chickenchok, Sep 7, 2008.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hello, I'm new to this list and to raising chickens. I live in a neighborhood in Wake County, NC, not in any city limits. We have .82 acres and a private fenced backyard. We plan to get about 6-8 chickens for eggs and pets. Neighbors on boths sides of us do not mind and even are talking about sometime getting their own chickens.

However, our neighborhood covenant from when we bought our home 8+ years ago says "no poultry or other farm animals". But some other neighbors recently brought 2 horses on to their property the next street over! We do not even have an HOA or anyone who really oversees that the covenants are upheld.

My main question is, what, if anything can happen if someone else in the neighborhood did complain or "report" that we were keeping chickens? Is there some type of fine or other penalty? How can I find out this info? I really really want to go ahead and get them but want to make sure I know what I could potentially be up against.

Thank you for any input!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    is this a rule or a by-law?...

if it is a rule and there is no one to enforce the rules then who will it get reported to?

3. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    We live a subdivision outside the city limits too... Our deed restrictions say no poultry. But u can have one horse. (Figure that one out.) But we have 2 lots and together they equal almost 2acres so we have plenty of room for our four chicks and who's gonna even know they are back here? If some nosey neighbor decided to call county code enforcement on us they'd prob just give us a warning to begin with I would think.

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Just don't have roosters and no one will even knowor care.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  5. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I just went thru this. They give you a warning and give you a few days to get rid of your chickens. If you don't, then a fine. Look into the "right to farm" act. That's what gave me the right to keep my chickens. Just go on the computer and research it...it might work for you.

BYC is child friendly. Please censor yourself and your threads as needed to remain in the guidelines of the BYC forum rules .

1. Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2008
  6. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    The document we signed when we bought the house says "protective covenants", not by-laws or rules. It says that any other property owners in our subdivision can "prosecute" us if we
    "violate said covenants". I"m not a lawyer, so I'm wondering how far that could go?

We don't plan to have any roosters.

I will look at the "right to farm act" that was mentioned (thank you!).

And thanks for your input so far!

7. If your only going to have 3 or 4 , what makes it wrong to have a pet chicken. lots of people have more than 1 cat or dog. I have 4 dogs and i think of my chickens as my pets as much as my dogs,they just don't come into my house. Chickens are just pets with feathers. marrie

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    A lot of people get around no-chicken laws by keeping them as pets. A law may say no farm animals or poultry, but it doesn't say you can't keep them as pets.

9. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Covenants are put into place by the original developer of the sub-division. This is "their" wants/rules". The countyt accepts the plat into the system, but the application and inforcements of the covenants is a civil matter. The neighborhas to push the issues, if you break the covenants, and take you to court. Now the big question is, and this is the most important, is in YOUR area, how long are covenants enforce? In my area it's only 15 years. After that, unless ALL people in the subdivision approve the refile, the covenants vanish.
    Do some research and you ma be suprised what you will find in your area.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. chickenchok

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you for the covenants info... that's very helpful. Wow, ours extend till 2026, then automatically renew for 10 yrs. unless everyone votes to nullify them! Crazy! But I think everyone is right here... if we don't have a rooster, it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully our hens will produce enough eggs to share so everyone will be happy [​IMG]

Thanks again. You guys are awesome!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by