Neighborhood dogs running loose

FoodFreedomNow

Free Ranging
7 Years
Aug 11, 2016
Everywhere, all at once
Happened to look out back yesterday and saw a small, beagle-type dog in my yard. It started running toward the chickens and ducks...fortunately, there was field fencing between it and the flock. I flew downstairs and out the door and the dog fled.
rant.gif

This is the second time loose dogs have appeared on my property, and both times, the dogs looked like pets that just got loose and were wandering around (well fed, collars). I've read many stories about people who have lost their chickens, ducks, and other livestock to loose dogs. I couldn't help but think of the free range chickens and turkeys down the road that are sometimes in the unfenced portion of the owner's property...hope they didn't lose any.

About the number one poultry predator in many places.

This should start a(nother) nice rant thread about loose domestic dogs....just what we need.

Unfortunately, loose dogs rival hawks as predators that are common, determined, and very difficult to guard your chickens against short of keeping them penned in their run.

In going on ten years of keeping chickens, I've only lost three chickens to predators - one each to a hawk, a bobcat, and a pair of dogs.

I suggest if you have enough room/money getting an emu. My emu Georgie loves my chickens and snuggles with them in the yard
1f495.png
My neighbors dog used to come into my yard and chase my chickens, and successfully killed one of my Silkie roos. (R.I.P. Cashmere
1f607.png
1f614.png
) And when I Georgie and he grew up, whenever the dog came into the yard he chased it down, and if he cornered it in the fence he would peck it silly
1f61c.png
. Now that dog never comes into my yard anymore, but when I do see it in my neighbors yard, it runs away when it sees Georgie!

FFN, you may feel differently if dog(s) wipe out your flock! I like dogs too, and have my own, but I've also spent $$$ to keep them at home, and if they do get out and cause any damage, I'll be paying for it, and if a neighbor shoots one of them there, it will be justified. Mary

I suggest if you have enough room/money getting an emu. My emu Georgie loves my chickens and snuggles with them in the yard
1f495.png
My neighbors dog used to come into my yard and chase my chickens, and successfully killed one of my Silkie roos. (R.I.P. Cashmere
1f607.png
1f614.png
) And when I Georgie and he grew up, whenever the dog came into the yard he chased it down, and if he cornered it in the fence he would peck it silly
1f61c.png
. Now that dog never comes into my yard anymore, but when I do see it in my neighbors yard, it runs away when it sees Georgie!
My condolences on the loss of Cashmere.

Now that is a livestock guardian animal I hadn't considered. I can just imagine Georgie defending the flock, but would love to see a pic! :thumbsup

Last edited:
My condolences on the loss of Cashmere.

Now that is a livestock guardian animal I hadn't considered. I can just imagine Georgie defending the flock, but would love to see a pic! :thumbsup

Here he is with one of my hens,

With my friends emu Penny that I was taking care of,

And with Penny again with the same hen again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom