Neighborhood Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sgrzybin, Apr 12, 2016.

1. sgrzybin

sgrzybin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    So I have a very secure coop and run and it is withstanding the digging and pawing from neighborhood dogs. I have read a lot of the posts about dogs and shooting them seems to be the best answer except that these dogs are my brother-in-laws and killing them would make Christmas very awkward. Are there any oder sprays that will deter them from the area around my coop?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Sprays probably wouldn't work permanently. Can you run a strand of electric wire on the outside of your coop? It won't injure the dogs but is a good deterrent.

3. slingshotandLAR

slingshotandLAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    I would use a hot wire also

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I also vote for electric. It will discourage them in a hurry. If you have young kids, you can always unplug it when they go outside. Electric fence is fairly easy to put up, and not terribly expensive.

5. slingshotandLAR

May 24, 2013

My kids do not bother the electric fence, they are 3 and 5 and it's fine. Just tell them and it's a non issue. They see the pigs get zapped once in a while that's all the reinforcement they need lol

6. sgrzybin

sgrzybin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2015
    So will this bother the hens when they are out of the coop?

7. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    You can turn it off, or the chickens will learn not to go near it.

8. slingshotandLAR

May 24, 2013

They will only touch it once... Maybe twice

We use electric poultry netting and they learn

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There have been many posts by people who "Can't possibly use electric fence because my kids go outside and I'm afraid they'll get a shock." I figured I'd just head that one off at the pass. [​IMG] My kids grew up with electric fences that kept the horses in. When they were very little, I unplugged it. As they got older, they figured why Mom was always saying, "Watch out for the fence." And then their town friends started coming out to the farm. They also learned about electric fences... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  10. 0wen

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Not sure how it is these days (millennials and all), but testing the electric fence use to be a right of passage for virtually every boy on a farm in the south... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by