Neighborhood hawk

jhill1440

Songster
13 Years
Feb 7, 2008
Central Texas
My chicks just went outside and had been in their coop for less than 2 days before the neigborhood hawk showed up. Could not find a way in so it left. I knew it would happen but didn't think it would be that fast. It was sitting on top of the coop before I could take a pic.
IMG_20210304_081627454.jpg

IMG_20210304_081705062.jpg

Wow I deal with the same thing with hawks and eagles. I keep mine in the covered run and only let them out of it if someone is out to watch them. I went inside for a bathroom break and a hawk was mauling my girl that fast he must have been watching from the tree line across the field. I guess you never notice them til you get chickens.

Haha! I had a quite funny experience also. So it was around last summer where I moved my quails outside for the first time. It wasn't actually outside as the coop it self was in a sunroom. I also installed a motion light nearby. That night at around 12 pm, the light went off so I want to see what it was and guess what? A fox was standing right between the light and the sun room. It stared at me for a few seconds then ran away. Now thats not all. So in the morning do you know what I see? The same fox sleeping in the front lawn. And it stayed there for a couple more hours.

Yep what they won't try for a free meal. I had a hawk literally crash into the corner of my house I had the girls out and was painting he swooped down to strike then came up when he saw the dog BAM into the side of the house he went. I guess the light yellow house and the grey color I was painting was a contrast or something but he macked it hard. He made it to the barn roof and sat there a good time and left.

Wow I deal with the same thing with hawks and eagles. I keep mine in the covered run and only let them out of it if someone is out to watch them. I went inside for a bathroom break and a hawk was mauling my girl that fast he must have been watching from the tree line across the field. I guess you never notice them til you get chickens.
I had a hawk kill a bird a couple of times right in front of me standing there. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react.

Our neighborhood hawk came back again yesterday. We have had the either locked up or we were out with them. Ran inside for a few and went back out and saw the hawk fly off! He had two girls cornered under the tarp covering our wood pile. Both ended up ok but the one who got hit had some blood from her nose and tail feathers missing😡 I hate to confine them for another week but.....

Back
Top Bottom