1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

neighborhood meaty co-op idea

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Moabite, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    This is just an idea at this point. I have several neighbors who have small layer flocks and "chicken fever" and aren't opposed to chickens as meat. I'm thinking along the lines of getting an incubator and doing regular hatches and giving each member a couple chicks to raise for the freezer about every few weeks or so. All of us live in town and are not allowed roosters (at least noisy ones) and we all have very limited space. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this idea.

2. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    you should be asking your neighbors... not random people...

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you are going to hatch them yourselves, I'm assuming they will be a dual purpose bird. If you aren't allowed roosters, I can see that being a problem as DP roosters will usually start crowing weeks before they are ready to be processed. DP birds are generally kept until 16-20wks. If you want to use any pullets that hatch for food as well, you may want to wait a little longer for them so having limited space could be an issue.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I get the feeling you are trying to gather your thoughts before presenting it to the neighbors - I like that [​IMG]

Personally, I don't know that I would go the DP route...the rooster thing could fast become an issue as PotterWatch already pointed out...BUT...you could order and split a batch of broiler chicks every so often with them...since they are edible long before crowing stage that would be reasonable for city living...AND since they do make quite a mess, and ya'll might have smaller yards and less room for tractoring and such...it would potentially be easier for ya'll to just have a small batch at a time...like 5 each. Less mess, less to process, and fresh chicken year round if you pace yourselves just right [​IMG]

I don't think it's a bad idea - try to maybe stick with no more than 3 or 4 others to start. Perhaps you could even take turns doing the brooding or processing. That's what a friend and I have started doing. She talked me into splitting some broilers with her from Meyer - she had them shipped to her and kept them a week, then I made it out to get mine - a good chunk of the brooding was already done. Next time, I will have them sent to me and keep them a week. At processing time, we will each take turns going to the other's home to assist in that. It works out really well for us, so it might be worth a try with some of your more level headed friends/neighbors [​IMG]

And remember, it NEVER hurts to ask!

5. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    In terms of hatching.... you're not going to get any broiler eggs-- so your either going to hatch DP birds, which might not work depending on your rules against crowing.. or your going to buy birds.

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:Or possibly, learn to caponize? That kind of situation partly explains why caponizing was once popular in the first place...

7. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Oh thank you all for your responses. Great food for thought. I was thinking along the lines of broilers, but not being able to get eggs would put a damper on things in a hurry. I'll have to check with our local breeder about pullets. I know I want to raise my own meat, but doing so two to four chickens at a time might not be worth the effort. I haven't given up yet though.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Where a co-op would be nice would be at processing time. If you can get 3-4 neighbors together and form an assembly line, it will be an easy job.

If you aren't allowed to have roosters, I really don't think Dual Purpose breeds will work for you. Unless you hatch something that is sex linked and kill the day old roosters and raise the hens for meat.

Still, it's difficult to have hatching eggs without a rooster and shipped eggs are a bit expensive to hatch for meat.

9. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Yeah, I see your point. I guess if I want meat I could go duck hunting instead.[​IMG]

10. kfacres

Jul 14, 2011
    Quote:If you were closer... I'd donate a deer to you... do it all the time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by