Neighborhood outlaws livestock and kitchen gardens

HarHarHar, DHinton .... oh yeah, that yard/house/fence across the road is just so posh!

For those that didn't read the article, here are the highlights (as I see them)

Quote:
Someone better talk to their neighbor about the tidy and aesthetically pleasing fence.

Still shaking my head ... a RENTER is going against HOME OWNERS about what they should have in their yard (in this case a more manicured garden than my garden ever is!!

Every time I cut my front lawn I think what a waste of time and space this is. Happy to say that each year the lawn decreases. I plant mostly edible things. Mixing up edible with regular landscaping can fool a lot of people. A lot of my neighbor had no idea I had a front yard garden.

I recall reading a story about a woman in AZ who had her front yard kitchen garden plowed over by the city. She had health issues,and that garden was very important to her needs,but the city told her to go buy food from the store like everyone else.

Reminds me of the local AC who told my mom(in response to coon problems) to get rid of her garden so there will be no reason for the racoons to come.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but there was a story in the local paper about the city of Laconia considering allow permits to keep chickens and veggie gardens in residential neighborhoods.(It was discovered earlier in the year that an old zoning ordinance outlawed both within residential areas) A city councellor, who farms in a neighboring town, warned about the smell "That you can't get rid of " and "Wondered why people would want to keep chickens, he said that without roosters the hens would lay no eggs.'You can buy eggs at the supermarket for for less than it costs tokeep chickens to lay them' he remarked".

I do too! I just moved into an agriculturally zoned neighborhood and it is aaaahhhmazing. After living in military housing for the past 4 years, I enjoy my quiet neighbors, the ability to keep a garden, have a dog, and raise a few (ok, well few is an understatement) chickens.

Yeah they are building a neighborhood a little too close to me and I'm worried about their crap, but honestly I'm not within city limits and I'm zoned Agriculture. There really isn't much they can do to me. They're gonna love the other neighbors that like to practice shooting on a regular basis. It doesn't bother me in the least, I kinda find it comforting. I can just hear the "fussies" they are going to sell these fru-fru homes to having a fit already.

...he said that without roosters the hens would lay no eggs.

He's right. Unless I have a husband, I don't ovulate or menstruate!
lau.gif

Last edited:
exactly - I think most people get it when it's put that way....but it's sad how many just blurt something out without bothering to think about it first.

As for my stealth coop - a 6 ft fence blocks the view of the worst neighbors. The retirees on either side are fine with it. The rest of the neighborhood is clueless.
As for my vegetable garden I put it in raised beds around my swimming pool as that's the sunniest part of the yard. If my plans were to stay here after retirement I would convert the front yard lawn into terraced gardens and grow my vegetables there. But I have 5 acres of rural land waiting for me where I can do as I please.

Back
Top Bottom