Neighborhood roo is making me mad.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MomMommyMamma, Nov 4, 2010.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I know, I know, it was silly to think that we could get through the winter w/o our roo who is now 5+ mo. old crowing a whole lot (so we can get some chicks in the spring). It was all going fairly quietly for a while. He would just crow in the AM. Now, we're hearing another rooster somewhere crowing. Sounds like quite a ways away - we can barely hear him. However, my rooster is hearing him loud & clear and hollerin' back at him. Frequently. Oy. Now I'm even more worried about our neighbors complaining.
    We're in an unzoned area so we're legal, but I don't want to have angry neighbors. So far no one has said anything negative. He's not crowing until around 7 AM as far as we know. I've heard of them crowing at 4 AM though. Do they all crow that early? When does that start?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Roosters crow at all hours of the day or night. It's what roosters do. Even when mine are not disturbed by anything they will routinely crow an hour and a half before dawn most every day.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Ours start at 4:30 am, so consider yourself fortunate!
    Every roo is different as to when it crows.

The thing with being unzoned in our state, is if a neighbor complains more then once, then its a $75 fine, and you have to get rid of the noise, or face more fines.

4. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Hmmm - I have not heard of that but I suppose I better check it out! Who do I call?

I was just thinking that I wonder how the other rooster owner feels. I'd love to find out who they are but I'm not sure how I could track them down. We just know it's coming from "that direction" lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by