Neighborhood stray Hen... AKA Matilda

new_chick_mama

Chirping
Jan 13, 2021
We have all heard of the3 neighborhood stray dogs or cats.. especially here in Belize.. It happens so often.. it is truly heartbreaking. However, rarely do you hear about stray chickens. A couple that live close by moved away and left their couple of ducks, rooster, 2 hens, and dog to fend for themselves. I did not know back then, they had been abandoned. I was just always perplexed to see a roo and his 2 girls patroling up and down t5he street looking for food artound trach cans. I started asking around, as I felt they were obviously not gettin the care they needed. Found out, that the ducks had just disappeared over time, not sure if they were taken in or not. My heart broke to find the rooster had been hit by a car Last month. After that, the girls (whom I named Butterscoth and Matilda) were on their own. They did not travel together anymore. I would see one, but not the other. Now, I live on the 3rd floor with a huge rooftop veranduh while waiting for the title for my land to come in. Once that happens i can get a mortgage and build a small modest home almost 10 min outside of downtown. The chickens have always been a bit nervous. I got a bag of corn, so they would hopefull start to associate me with good things. The idea, is to take them, or it seems, just her with me when I move onto my land.
I have 9 chickens that will be 12 weeks old on Monday 18th. They have a temporary coop with chicken wire, shelter, and a run for the next 3 or 4 months till we move in.
I do not have a safe spot for Matilda as of now. She has been hanging in the back yard of my building, since i have been feeding her more. My worry, is I could build a temp shelter up here for her, but I am afraid she would be incredibly stressed. This is all she has ever known, it seems, is half butt care.. She is a gorgeous girl, and to me, seems fairly healthy??? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My plans on my lans inclide a large protected coop and safe run for my guys, but also a coop and run for her, to get used to be in closer prox to my babies.
This is pretty Matilda...

Attachments

• DSCN2840.JPG
    DSCN2840.JPG
    701.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN2842.JPG
    DSCN2842.JPG
    452 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2843.JPG
    DSCN2843.JPG
    464 KB · Views: 8

new_chick_mama

Chirping
Jan 13, 2021
Have you seen eggs? And I wasn’t clear - what happened to the other hen?
no idea about her sister... she was either taken in by someone, eaten, or.... no I havnt seen eggs from Matilda.. I think she goes back to the old yard at night, but not sure... she has just started coming into our yard more since she knows I'm giving her food...

Top Bottom