Neighborhood Watch Takes Stand on Backyard Chickens - Brentwood CA

This is a good example of the my-mind's-made-up-don't-confuse-me-with-the-facts mentality. What a bunch if idiots. And that Cristine Goncalves takes the cake. Where did she get her "facts"? Sure hope I never have the misfortune to meet her.

Ok...I just got off the phone with someone from the city and she laid out all the options to move forward.

First, there is no appeal. The city council's vote was final. So, to move forward, we could:

#1 Try to privately sway one of the current councilmen to change his vote and address the issue again at any public hearing. (doesn't sound like any of the councilmen would be willing to change their vote at this time)

#2 Wait until there are different councilmen in office and again bring the issue up at a future public hearing.

#3 Start the state initiative petition process and get it on an upcoming ballot to be voted on.

I think if I went with #3, there would need to be some way to educate the public about backyard hens. I would hate to see it get shot down at the polls.

What do you all think? I would love to hear people's ideas.

Stacie

If it were me as soon as the housing market improved, I would put mine up for sale and move as soon as I could.

[There is a place for agricultural and a place for residential. We pay a high premium to have the right to not live near farm animals and foul smell.]

They also pay a high premium!

Excuse me, but I live in a development, and my neighbors all LOVE my "girls"
love.gif

Also, they DO NOT stink, and they DO NOT draw flies. That's a big misconception! If you take care of them properly, no one will even know you have them unless they see them, or you tell them!

Jen

[Safety Concerns: coops attract rats, raccoons, coyotes, owls, hawks, and snakes into the backyards of the chicken owners and their neighbors.
• Predators puts everyone (adults, children, and pets) at risk of being seriously harmed.]

If thats how your neighbors feel you need a no pet neighbor hood then because cats and cat food will bring in rats, raccoons, coyotes, then owls and hawks and coyotes will come to try to eat the cat itself or small dogs. Second if they're is anyone thats going to know how to get ride of those pests its going to be the poultry farmer.

People like that really irritate me when they talk like that. (I didn't read through all 9 pages so my apologies if I repeat what someone else said.)

The person who wrote that is the most ignorant buffoon!
- If there are predators in the area, they've been there without being noticed, chickens won't bring them.

- The poo of even 200 people having 3 chickens isn't going to pollute the water system.

- Noise pollution? What about cars/motorcycles with no exhaust? Motorboats? Jetskis?

- Bird flu does not come from domestic chickens!

Sorry, stupid ignorant people irritate me. "...based on facts..." my fanny! There are MANY articles from MANY towns that have passed these ordinances, many are listed here. You should be able to find ample evidence to justify passing it. They are pest control....insect control...green as in composting companions...health benefits (pets lower blood pressure), they are a teaching tool and a way to supplement your grocery bill.

http://www.articlesbase.com/pets-articles/benefits-of-keeping-chickens-1826548.html

This one is really good! http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/dining/19yard.html?ref=style

Like this too....http://www.examiner.com/x-346-Gardening-Examiner~y2009m1d18-Ten-benefits-of-raising-backyard-chickens

On bird flu: from the CDC, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/facts.htm
Avian influenza in birds
Avian influenza is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These influenza viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, avian influenza is very contagious among birds and can make some domesticated birds, including chickens, ducks, and turkeys, very sick and kill them.

Goober needs to get his facts straight...again! Better go kill all those finches, grosbeaks, and robins in his yard!

edited to ad CDC website

Last edited:
She is badly, badly misinformed regarding avian disease. There's a great quote in the Mad City Chickens from a university professor who says something to the effect that even if a diseased bird flew over your backyard flock and happened to leave a dropping on its way, there is virtually a 0% chance of infection because the sun would kill the germs almost instantly and because backyard flocks are so HEALTHY.

There is NO comparison between a backyard flock and the chickens in CAFs where they think the avian flu originated.

Someone is trying to use alarmist fear tactics because they have a personal aversion to chickens. I would cry fowl
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom