Neighbors 3 banty roo's in my yard.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Berry Creek, Ca
The last 4 or 5 mornings there has been 3 banty roos pecking around in the yard. The crowing has been getting closer and closer for weeks now so I dont think this is a new thing. I have 22 chickens including a full grown (huge) Swedish Flower Hen boy.

The landlady (who shares the 3 acres were on) loves to garden and re-did her whole front yard. I keep my chickens locked up specifically to keep them out of her gardens! Now I also hatch eggs, and sell chicks, so if I let my chickens out the banty's could hop on my girls and ruin my breeding program for a few weeks. (no way my boy can keep track of 21 girls all at once!) and if HE was out he could probably kill them easily. He's probably 6-8lbs with them at like 2-3 lbs.

I'm not on speaking terms with the neighbor. Quite frankly I dont like her and try and steer clear. I can send her an email or call(would have to dig up her email and phone number) but I'm pretty mad and I hate to say I couldn't play nice. Like "keep them home or I'll make soup". Heck I think the landlady is more likely to make soup. She leaves pretty early for work so I'm not sure she knows whats going on. SSS? Let my boy out to chase them off? Call her and try to play nice? What would YOU do? Now let me just say she's on a 14 acre parcel. Were on 3 acres up the hill. She has a whole other property where she has over 50 chickens, ducks, turkeys. We also feed a couple of her cats on a regular basis. I dont mind because we have 8 of our own the roam the neighborhood so I dont complain about feeding other peoples cats. Now, I LOVE roosters. Before we moved I had 3 free range boys myself, but I kept them on our own property. The fact that they aren't mine and that they're doing exactly what I dont want my chickens to do really bothers me.

I'm even one for proof! Smack dab in the middle of the new conifer(?) garden.
IMG_6858.jpg

I would let my boy take care of it.

He most likely won't kill them. I have many bantam roosters and VERY large roosters together. Never had them kill one another. If he does, it's not your problem.

I would mostly be afraid of any illnesses :/

I would let my boy take care of it.
He most likely won't kill them. I have many bantam roosters and VERY large roosters together. Never had them kill one another. If he does, it's not your problem.
I would mostly be afraid of any illnesses
hmm.png
DUH! I didn't even think of that. I have so much 'goat' on the mind lately. Thanks for your input!!

DUH!   I didn't even think of that. I have so much 'goat' on the mind lately.  Thanks for your input!!
No problem :)

One of my roosters travels to my neighbour's property. Thankfully they don't have any chickens, and aren't bothered by my traveling rooster. He'd probably stop doing so if they would stop feeding him leftovers :lol:

It's like we have joint custody of Gigi... :p We were so worried that they were bothered by him. We kept going over and chasing him back. He knows how to go around our fence and get to their yard. The only one that does :rolleyes:

Can you say fried chicken? Or S S S ! Maybe take them out one at a time to see if they stop coming over! Or just SSS and take some feathers and throw them down on the property line to make it look like a hawk!

Can you say fried chicken? Or S S S ! Maybe take them out one at a time to see if they stop coming over! Or just SSS and take some feathers and throw them down on the property line to make it look like a hawk!
thats mean lol .. i would just let my roo out he wouldn't kill them just attack them to show whos boss and the hens are his but if they keep coming back with him outside it might get worse but all three can attack him at once then it would be bad

Try your Roo first. Then if they start coming back, SSS. Do you have foxes in your area? they can easily carry three off at once. If she ask about her roos maybe say a fox may have gotten them since they just run around unprotected.

Back
Top Bottom