1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by jess5254, Dec 13, 2011.

1. jess5254

jess5254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Maine
    I have 19 chickens, 4 ducks, 5 cats and two dogs. My neighbor just sent me a letter in the mail stating that If I dont keep my animals off her property she has warned me for the last time. I never knew there was a problem every time I go out side the chickens are home the ducks are locked up the dogs do not go out unattended but I will admit once in awhile they sneek over. Her dog however has been over here just as much and has even killed several of my chickens and has toen up half my garden in the process. Have I mentioned she goes to the local store everyday to pick up left over bread for the wild birds, turkeys, deer, raccoons, squirrels, and has one stray cat she feeds everyday. She now is blaming me for her dog having parasites because her dog eats feces and says its from my animals. Am I wrong in this matter. She cannot blame my animals if she has all this other wildlife in the yard also. I am so afraid she will complain to the landlord and that willl be the end of my animals. Iwill have to move I cant live without my animals. I suffer from fybromyalgia and severe depression. I wont make it without my animals. Thanks for listening to me vent.!!!!

2. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I"m not a lawyer, however it seems likely she'd need to prove it came from your animal's droppings in her yard. many parasite's eggs can persist in the dirt for years. some parasites are cross-species, others are specific to particular types of animals.

if her dog comes into your yard and picks up a parasite from eating poop while unsupervised, that's not your responsibility - she is responsible for containing her dog.

if your animals go in her yard and poops, that's your responsibility. still I would think she might have to go a good distance to prove it's your fault... if it's a common parasite that could be carried by other animals, or persists for a while in the dirt, where's the proof it was your animals?

that doesn't mean she won't make trouble for you over your animals with the landlord. if you're over the agreed limit in your animal count (as far as county rules or your lease go), you're at risk.

do you want to go to war with this neighbor? a letter from a laywer demaining she keep her dog off your property and requesting compensation for your dead chickens and damage to your garden would do that. however, that kind of trouble may resulting in her escalating and calling animal control or the county or your landlord or... you get the idea.

you might try talking with the neighbor to see if you can calm things down. you will need to contain your animals, and ask her to contain hers.

I wish you good luck, I've not had much success with this sort of thing... difficult people are, well, difficult.

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

She really shouldn't make a request that she, herself, can't keep. She allows her dogs on your property... But doesn't want yours on hers? Ummmmm NO. If guess if that's the case, she has to show good faith by following her own rules or she won't get anywhere but homeless.
    On the parasites, she has no proof. Do your animals have parasites? Who the original owner of the parasites is, is up for debate but she can't say it's your fault without proof.
    Sounds like a crabby old loner who needs to be shown what she's doing because apparently she doesn't know.

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Put up a fence.

5. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    The next time her animals are on your property, TAKE PICTURES. This is key. Otherwise it's just "he said she said". Pictures are hard, irrefutable evidence. This way, when she tries to raise a stink about her pets catching parasites from yours, you can whip those out and ask her why they were on your property to begin with.

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I agree with previous responder.

Put up a fence!!

Big fence!

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup. What they said. FENCE. Bigun....

8. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 and if it were me I would walk up to her if I saw her outside and say " HEY YOU!!!! YOUR TELLING ME TO KEEP MY ANIMALS IN MY YARD?!? THEY ARE LIKE LOCKED UP ALL DAY AND WHEN I DO LET THEM OUT THEY STAY IN MY YARD!!!!! YOU FEED ALL THE STRAY ANIMALS AND THEY GO TO THE POT IN YOUR YARD. THEN YOUR DOG COMES OVER KILLS MY ANIMALS AND TEARS UP THE GARDEN! SO I WOULDNT BE TALKING IF I WERE YOU! " I used caps for all of that yes CAPS dont know if it will show up though...

9. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry wrong thread!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Okay, we've accounted for the ducks staying home as they are locked up, and acknowledged that the dogs occasionally get loose. You have not seen the chickens off your property, but it sounds like they could get off and go to hers. No mention was made of the cats at all.

Do any of your animals have any parasites? Do you treat them regularly? And WHAT parasites is she claiming?

You need to ENSURE that all your animals stay on your property--the hardest to keep home will likely be the cats. Adequate fencing and penning will keep the birds and dogs home. You also need to go talk to your neighbor (or at least try) and mention that this is the first she said anything--that you were not aware there was a problem. You need to also tell her about what her dog has done on your property. Hopefully y'all can work together to each keep your animals home where they belong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by