1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors and Authorities?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hardy21, Oct 27, 2013.

1. hardy21

hardy21 New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Hello everyone!!!
    I have 5 buff orpingtons and barred rocks in my backyard in Los Angeles, CA. Due to various reasons, the coop had to be placed next to the dividing brick wall between us and the neighbors. I know we're violating the coop placement law, which says they have to be about 35 feet from their house, and its probably around 15 feet. They seem to be getting antsy and I think they might report it. Does anyone know what happens when someone complains? I've heard that you get a letter and then a visit with a fine?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you think they're going to report it, and you're in the wrong, you're going to have to move your coop. Better sooner, before it becomes an issue, than later.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If you are wrong, it helps to get right.

Chris

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I have chickens, and I'd report myself if they were 15' away from my house!!!

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    What happens, I would guess, depends entirely upon where you live, what the laws are and what the consequences are for breaking those laws. That could be anywhere from paying a fine to having to get rid of your chickens. If I were you, I'd move that coop ASAP. Especially since you already know that you are in violation.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I think if you intend to keep your chickens, you need to move the coop to make it legal ASAP

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by