Neighbors and Chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BJ, Oct 8, 2007.

1. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I live in a small neighborhood of 15 houses on 1/2 to 3/4 acre lots. One of my neighbors comes over un-invited with their grandkids to "see our chickens" in our fenced in backyard. They drag their wagon full of grandkids through our yard, usually once or twice/week. Sometimes we are eating our dinner on our back porch or just minding our own business in our backyard. My husband doesn't care, but it drives me crazy! I think it is rude!! Any thoughts on this subject??? Any similar experiences out there? Maybe I am just being too sensitive....

2. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I would hate for somebody to look at my chickens without permission!!!!! I don't even let guest go out there unless I'm with them!!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think it is very rude and they should know to ask permission. It is also lovely that they want to show off your birds to their grandchild. Perhaps you could suggest a small flock of their own.

The other side of me is not so nice -

Put up a sign indicating bio-security and no trespassing due to unknown germs being brought in to the chicken coop area. Then put a lock on the gate. If they get upset tell them viewing is by appointment only.

Good luck.

4. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I guess I'm mean too, I'd drag my wagon full of kids and venture into their garden to show the different kinds of flowers that Mother Nature produces while they are having a quiet afternoon alone on their porch! [​IMG]

5. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    That would absolutely infuriate me. I don't really care what it's for, no one should come onto your property without asking your permission... certainly they shouldn't regard your animals as theirs. If they do that, sometime their grandchildren are going to think it's okay to come over without permission, too, and they may not be responsible enough to lock up--who knows?

And even if something that bad never happens, that sort of behavior is just beyond my comprehension. They should respect your right to choose when you want to have company--or not!

:thun

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    They come through your backyard? That's very rude!

I think it's rude that my neighbors kids would come up to the fence and feed my horses and goats. Then my goats would get out and go visit them (duh, you gave them food they love you now!) and the parents would call AC!!!! So I started yelling at the kids. I wouldn't have minded if they had asked permission, but they did regardless of posting "No trespassing" signs and what not and then had the gumption to call AC when the goats wanted to visit them! Luckily my neighbors just moved away. [​IMG] Hopefully the next people won't hate animals!

I'd confront them and tell them you'd be happy to let them see the chickens if they make an appointment, but you'd really like it if they stayed out of your yard for the safety of the kids and or chickens. [​IMG]

Electric fences work good, too. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Thanks for your comments. I think my husband is being too patient about it. We are building a new coop and we are moving it further into our yard. That will give me a new reason to make some rules about "visiting"!!

8. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    put up a sign next viewing: 1pm / admission $2.00/person then get some dixie cups and sell your feed to visiters for $1.00/cup they may not want to see them quite so bad next time.

Or they may line up and you can make a nice profit off of showing your chickens [​IMG]

9. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    [​IMG]

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Unfortunately in todays world there are also liability issues at stake here. One of the kids get hurt on your property etc. I love my privacy and would not be into it at all,,,I am mean. I am sure this woman is not even thinking of any of that and just wants to good for her grandchildren. No matter where you put the coop she will keep on coming as long as she knows you have the chickens. Just be polite and ask her to call first as you are just so busy all the time!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by