Neighbors asking for eggs!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by pmitch10, Nov 24, 2008.

1. pmitch10

pmitch10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    NH
    I have a couple of neighbors knowing we started with some chickens this year. We are definitely having extras as more are laying so I was wondering what is a fair asking price if they want to buy them on a weekly basis.

We are from NH and this is all new to us......thanks for any input.

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How much do eggs go for at your grocery store?

3. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i told my one neighbor i wanted two dollars and she gave me this look. she said she didn't need any right then, but a week later she called and i told i would bring them down. i got my two dollars. i also have sold some at work for two dollars.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I give all my neighbors free eggs....its a bribe really....[​IMG]...because i'm not sure if i can really have them AND i have a roo!(really pushing my luck!)......but, they all say they dont mind my chickens and the rooster..so, i give them the eggs because they are so nice about it...but,for fair pricing, i'd go $2.50 a dozen??....[​IMG]..

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I look at prices for brown eggs at my local health food store, their eggs come from a very local big farm. They are between $1.75 and $2.00 a dozen. I also don't have many cartons so I have been paying too much for them $0.60 each, I am going to order from eggcartons.com this week though and the cartons will go down to $.33 each if I buy 50 - storage is a problem.

So looking at those factors, I am asking $2.00 per dozen. $1.50 if they furnish the carton.

Another person in my town routinely gets people who drive a distance from some finacially better off areas to get her free range eggs and they pay $3.00 to $3.50 for a dozen. I am only furnishing them to people I know and I can't bring myself to charge that much. Close neighbors and friends are given eggs just because.

So for what that all is worth, good luck!

6. pmitch10

pmitch10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    NH
    Well, my dilemma is that I have plenty of family that would like the eggs, and we are only getting between 7 and 9 a day. I have been giving away a couple dozen a week but to do it on a more consistent basis for somebody who definitely wants them every week........thanks for your thoughts.

I will definitely check out prices at the store for fresh eggs.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:If you have the demand, increase the supply.
    Get more chickens!!! [​IMG]

8. MamaDragon

MamaDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Camden, AR
    I get $2.50 per dozen for small to large eggs, mixed cartons (I carton them as they're laid). I get $3.75 per dozen for the Extra-large and Jumbo eggs. (some of these are as big as a duck egg)

I recycle cartons collected from friends and neighbors, so no costs there. For my regular customers, if they bring me two empty cartons, I give them a 25 cent discount on the price. Limit of $1.00 off per dozen.

I sell once a week to several customers. I go to town, run errands, and deliver eggs while I'm out. They get door-to-door service at work or home, and don't mind a few extra cents for my gas and time. I also don't have people knocking on my door at odd times of day, or strangers tramping around my yard, and so forth.

I sat down, figured out what my costs were per month, balanced that against how many dozen eggs I was able to sell (didn't include the eggs consumed at home), added the price for a gallon of gas (at the time $3.50) and it averaged out to about $2.00/dozen.

I'm a dollar or more higher in cost that what's at the grocery store, but since I've had "friend of a friend" sales ever since I started, I don't feel guilty. They get better eggs than the grocery store, I get free eggs, and the feed paid for. Not a bad exchange in my opinion.

9. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    I get 2.50 a dozen. That is for the eggs in the same condition I get them out of the coop. [​IMG]

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    You can't compare prices around the country it makes no sense at all - its like comparing gas prices - we all pay something different.

Some area's there is a HIGH demand for free range or organic or whatever - in those area's CHARGE MORE than the local store sells eggs for.

In other area's folks don't care where their eggs come from, they just want eggs, and they want convinient, they won't drive JUST to pick up special eggs.

Then there are other area's - where every tom, dick and harry has chickens, and you can't GIVE them away.
    (If I tried the CA price of $4.50 a dozen - I'd get stoned out of town)

SO the ONLY thing you can do is check your local grocery store and decide if you live in an area where people worry about the environment and prefer home grown fresh eggs or not.

Having every person on BYC post their egg prices here will just get a thread 23467 pages long and no closer to an answer for your particular situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by