Neighbors chickens are a hot mess

Jakico

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
I understand backyard chickens are kept for many reasons and that not all considers them pets and more livestock. I do believe that there is some etiquette for neighbors and humane treatment of the animals regardless of why one has a flock. That being said….

I live in the suburbs, not the country. The area has some yard space and the houses aren’t on top of each other, but we don’t have acres. Many people in the area have chickens, including myself. My house is annoyingly directly in front of a 3 way stop. The neighbors are on a corner lot with a smaller backyard with a picket fence and a large front yard that covers the front and corner. They had chickens before I did. They had 4, the next year 8….16 and now today 34. Their chickens run all over the neighborhood, I see them blocks away at times, they are often in the intersection in front of my house and cause lots of honking. They hangout in my yard and poop in my driveway. They eat my flowers. They stop me from backing out in an already annoying intersection. People come to tell me my chickens are loose(The size of some of their eggs might indicate they are loose in a whole different way). Because their chickens have free reign of the neighborhood we now have coyotes regularly scope out our yards early mornings when I my dog is out. I find the poor dead chicken remains at the end of my drive way. We’ve talked to them and they said they are going to contain them to the small back yard, this was months ago. The yard is probably too small for their 34 bird flock and the birds roosting situation was tight when they had 4 so many of them just roost nightly on the picket fence, showing that’s not going to contain them height wise. My boyfriend even offered them a giant roll of chicken wire but they declined.
When I talk to them they assume I want to discuss chickens because I like chickens not the facts that I’m stating their flock is becoming a nuisance …and have shown me they are pretty ignorant to the species in general and pretty apathetic to their care or safety. I’m trying to keep conversations away from the subpar treatment of their flock because they aren’t my birds or business.
I do feel like the attraction of predators, the blocking of the intersection and amount of chicken poop in my driveway is my business. I’d like to start a garden in my front yard this summer, I can’t in the back as my chickens have demolished anything I’ve tried to grow. I have no idea how to talk to them or what I can even do as side filing some sort of complaint. Any suggestions?

Lots to unpack on that one. First, I am sorry you have to deal with opp. Usually being responsible for our own junk is job enough.

I'd probably secretly start trapping their chickens and taking them to the humane society so they can be adopted out. And I'd use the chicken wire you offered them for my garden.

It would be nice to have that conversation but sounds like you already did. If missing chickens and dead carcasses don't wake them up then obviously they won't notice Humane relocation.

Best of luck and keep us posted :hugs

I feel for you. It's people like this that get tough bylaws in place for other well behaved urban flock owners. Are there other neighbors close that could back you up on this one, as in maybe each take a turn to go over and politely flat out ask them to keep their chickens on their own property, it sounds like you can each use a unique reason for the request..? Mention the risk of personal injury if someone needs to break suddenly due to chickens in the road? Maybe some of your neighbors might be willing to offer to adopt some of the flock to bring down numbers? Which of course always opens the door to resentment on their part, but also getting the humane society involved often leads to even more hurt feelings and wounded pride. I'm not sure if any of what I said is any help whatsoever, but know that my heart goes out to you on this one. :hugs

Lots to unpack on that one. First, I am sorry you have to deal with opp. Usually being responsible for our own junk is job enough.

I'd probably secretly start trapping their chickens and taking them to the humane society so they can be adopted out. And I'd use the chicken wire you offered them for my garden.

It would be nice to have that conversation but sounds like you already did. If missing chickens and dead carcasses don't wake them up then obviously they won't notice Humane relocation.

Best of luck and keep us posted :hugs
I think they’d just buy more. They have a nest camera or else I’d rehome all those poor girls. I like the idea of using the chicken wire for the garden, I don’t know if my boyfriend wants that esthetic in the front yard, he’d more likely build a privacy fence. They sell the eggs so I think that appeals to them to keep getting more. They don’t even have laying boxes the chickens lay all over I think it’s gross they sell people eggs they don’t know how long have been sitting under their deck or baking in the sun.

When I got my first 4 girls I asked for some tips in passing and they showed me their coop, which was a tiny 3x3 box with no doors and it was filled with eggs in various degrees of being pecked and leaking. I didn’t ask for advice again, but did approach them to show them the footage of the birds being eaten by coyotes in my nest camera. Their plan was to put a lawn chair on the porch and stay up all night to shoot it. I’m not worried about my chickens and the coyotes they live behind a six foot fence and have a coop within and a covered run, they only free range in my backyard. I’m more concerned about my dog and other pets in the neighborhood. They said another neighbor told them about the bodies too. I imagine next year they will have 60 chickens. Our county has no restrictions on chickens or even roosters. I had one for a few months, but felt terrible how loud he was and sent him to live on families farms for the sake of being a good neighbor. I guess they don’t have the same concerns.

I feel for you. It's people like this that get tough bylaws in place for other well behaved urban flock owners. Are there other neighbors close that could back you up on this one, as in maybe each take a turn to go over and politely flat out ask them to keep their chickens on their own property, it sounds like you can each use a unique reason for the request..? Mention the risk of personal injury if someone needs to break suddenly due to chickens in the road? Maybe some of your neighbors might be willing to offer to adopt some of the flock to bring down numbers? Which of course always opens the door to resentment on their part, but also getting the humane society involved often leads to even more hurt feelings and wounded pride. I'm not sure if any of what I said is any help whatsoever, but know that my heart goes out to you on this one. :hugs
My boyfriend says six foot fences make great neighbors…But it will make visibility backing out of the driveway difficult. It’s also a lot of expense for the neighbors recklessness. The more chickens they get the more the behavior will be passed down.
Ill have to think on how to discuss the manner with the neighbors. It’s two brothers in their 50’s that have lived here since they were kids so I feel like the family had a lot of rapport on the street. The county ordinance has very little on chickens.

My boyfriend says six foot fences make great neighbors…But it will make visibility backing out of the driveway difficult. It’s also a lot of expense for the neighbors recklessness. The more chickens they get the more the behavior will be passed down.
Ill have to think on how to discuss the manner with the neighbors. It’s two brothers in their 50’s that have lived here since they were kids so I feel like the family had a lot of rapport on the street. The county ordinance has very little on chickens.
Are they nice old guys? The neighborhood could pull together and maybe add a run to his set up? Probably cheaper than a fence!

Are there any laws in your county or state about containing livestock? A long shoot but it might be worth looking into. They are also creating a traffic hazard. Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit to solve a problem.
Are they nice old guys? The neighborhood could pull together and maybe add a run to his set up? Probably cheaper than a fence!
They seem resistant to accept help. We’ve offered a few supplies. I don’t know if they are just set in doing it themselves or really don’t appreciate the unsolicited advice. I don’t find them pleasant in general…they know a lot of people around here, I’m not sure if they are good terms with everyone. They live with their elderly father, it seems to be two middle aged men with failure to launch in my opinion.

Are there any laws in your county or state about containing livestock? A long shoot but it might be worth looking into. They are also creating a traffic hazard. Sometimes you have to think outside the box a bit to solve a problem.
The traffic issues are probably the best bet. I looked at animal containment and it only mentioned dogs really. It’s difficult to find much.

Back
Top Bottom