neighbors chickens eatting my veggie garden

i was told we could put electric fence up and it would keep them out has anyone done that to keep chickens contained? we are finally getting the new fence up a horse pasture and we can tie in around garden

Re: your above question: I use electric poultry netting to contain my flock. It's approx. 160' long and would work to keep animals in or out of a specified area. You can hook extra lengths together to make the size you need. It doesn't come cheap, and you also have to buy a charger, either AC or DC with a battery, but it is a semi "permanent" solution. You would have to maintain the fence line ie: keeping the grass/weeds trimmed so they don't short out the fence. It might be a good solution for you, because it would also keep out other garden predators (ground hogs, rabbits, coons and like critters) If you depend on your garden for a food source, it would be a good investment.

Fencing chickens out doesn't take that much. Or at least not here. I've got two packets of small tomato stakes cost me $5 a packet each then I bought a roll of plastic mesh stuff. Like wire fence but just plastic. I cut it in half height wise to get twice as much but if they are flighty chickens just leave same height. $10 per roll.

I ran that up through my back garden so now they free range up there and stay off my lawn. Remember you aren't having to make a proper predator proof fence. I have a couple uneven areas where it sits up a bit so will probably get round to using some cheap tent pegs to hold it down better so they don't work out to go under. It keeps all but one of my seven in and it is low enough I can step over it. Had I not halved its height for appearance reasons the last would never go over.

If you get a super smart one just catch and trim one wing.

It's unfair your neighbour doesn't fix but unfortunately you are going to have to fix it yourself. . Oh and I'm like you wouldn't want more chooks or to kill his either.

i wish i could afford to fence in 2 acres of garden but i can afford that exspence
we are trying to be good neighbors my husband was the one that talked to him the neighbor in the middle of us talked to him the first day and when hubby went to talk about the chickens she stopped him and said" i already taked to him" looking back who knows what she said as the never tell the whole truth told my husband she had no rite talking about our problem. when hubby talked to him he was nice and just said hey_________________ we have a problem with the chickens over last few days he then said i wish someone told me there was a problem he said i am up in till now we have had no problem, my hubby said we have that large hoop pen you can use temp until you get your enclosure finished he said no then he said he was building a pen to contain them and it would be done no latter then sunday today,my husband asked if he could help him as he knows he has the 3 kids he said no it was almost done, we even offered to help catch the chickens or let him borrow our net, we dont want to fight while they are not my chickens i also know i need to help to get it under control.

i have thought all night what i could do to keep the other from throwing veggies in her garden hubby reminded me it needed to be simple or she wouldnt do it. so im wondering if i go and buy a 5gallon bucket with lid tell her to throw the veggies in there and since rite now most of my day is farming for the both of us i can go over and get it and throw in garbage or feed my chickens, im thinking if i tell her i would love to give it to the chickens if shes going to throw it that would be nice she wont have to work our propertys do butt up to each other.

it sucks but my mom and daddy always said sometimes you will have to walk 10 miles for each baby step a neighbor makes so stay friends
i have told my hubby in the future i doont care if someone says you dont need to talk to so n so i did do it anyways it should come from your mouth not someone elses.
i know he wasnt exspecting to have to build the enclosure but im sure you all know when you have animals this happens and its part of being a animal owner.im so glad it wasnt my girls they come out to roam the yard only when we are outside to watch them it we leave they go in the pen.
thanks everyone

i was told we could put electric fence up and it would keep them out has anyone done that to keep chickens contained? we are finally getting the new fence up a horse pasture and we can tie in around garden

Re: your above question: I use electric poultry netting to contain my flock. It's approx. 160' long and would work to keep animals in or out of a specified area. You can hook extra lengths together to make the size you need. It doesn't come cheap, and you also have to buy a charger, either AC or DC with a battery, but it is a semi "permanent" solution. You would have to maintain the fence line ie: keeping the grass/weeds trimmed so they don't short out the fence. It might be a good solution for you, because it would also keep out other garden predators (ground hogs, rabbits, coons and like critters) If you depend on your garden for a food source, it would be a good investmet
one last question on that suggestions where i can look for electric poultry netting my brother in law says he has a electric fence around his pature and it keeps horses in but also keeps the chickens out and he said ducks thanks a bunch we are very rural so if i cant get from tractor supply i have never seen at our small co op

one last question on that suggestions where i can look for electric poultry netting my brother in law says he has a electric fence around his pature and it keeps horses in but also keeps the chickens out and he said ducks thanks a bunch we are very rural so if i cant get from tractor supply i have never seen at our small co op
google on line "electric poultry netting". It's a bit pricey, but does a good job. You could run multiple strands about 4" apart and that might work if you don't want to spend the money on the electric poultry netting.

Back
Top Bottom