Neighbors Chickens...grrrr

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hokankai, Nov 6, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So we have some neighbors that own chickens. They have a small flock with a rooster and are just a hop and a skip away...I can see their chicken coop through the trees. The issue I'm having is that they range their chickens because their run is a mud pit...and our girls are penned up due to hawks in the area. I am getting SO irritated with finding their chickens on our property! [​IMG] I chase them off of our property almost every day (I've even caught a couple of them, but of course let them go over the property line), and I am really tired of it. They have several trails through the brush (we live in the woods basically), and the previous owners didn't finish putting up a chain link fence between the two properties. I'm worried that their rooster is going to lure our girls over there if we ever let them free range, that the two flocks will fight frequently, and that a disease will be passed from their chickens to ours. Is there anything I can do?!

Note: these neighbors are NOT friendly, and the other neighbors often joke about them being in the Russian mob...so it's not something I can just walk over and talk to them about.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    i would finish that fence and tell them that if there chickens mingle with yours they will most likely attract and get some type of disease

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Fence is the only way to go, IMO.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Is there a way to fence that wouldn't be extremely expensive? The side of the yard where they are getting in is like...250ft long with multiple trails to our property. The entire property line up to the creek is about 300-400ft...that's a LOT of fence!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Ask on freecycle for fencing material.

6. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Also try craigslist.com .

ed

7. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    If you do NOT want the chickens take them to the shelter and say you just found them, and that is true. You just need someone to take care of them.?????? The owners don't really care. Right????! So their are rehomed! They need to be.

8. Salvadora.Seabright

Salvadora.Seabright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Floyd
    Quote:I would agree but you may not be able to take them to the shelter as not all facilities take all species. If they say yes then go do it. Neighbor can pay the fine to spring them if he really wants them back. I used to work at an animal shelter that did and it was a PITB because we weren't set up for birds in adoption. Do you house them with the cats, the dogs, or the rabbits? Poultry usually ended up being "adopted" by staff for the stew pot. That said, they were easier than the stray horse we had for a while!

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Patch up the trails with some thick bushes with horns, spruces and pine trees.

Add an electric fence or finish the fence.

10. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Use the plastic snow fencing. The t-bars are kind of pricy but the fencing now comes in dark green instead of bright orange. Put the t-bars every 10 feet and then thread the snow fence plastic stuff. Our driveway is 300 ft. I think, maybe 250. Very long anyway. I can't remember now but we bought snow fencing for the length of the drive last year and I think it was in the neighborhood of $200. Use zip ties to secure it. Of course they will fly over if they really want to, I'm not sure exactly but I think it is 3-4 feet tall. My husband pounded them all in by hand. He was very grumpy afterwards [​IMG] I would get/rent a little post hole digger if I were you. We just left the posts there but took down the fencing. Time to put it back up:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by