Neighbor's chickens over here. Mad as Heck!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suebee, Aug 8, 2008.

1. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    This is part 2 of my post "Me, My family, my chickens, my neighbors chickens.

Last year their ugly yard birds kept coming over here, terrorizing my sweet flock of silkies, eating MY chicken's food, tearing up my husband's garden, etc. I caught them and put them in his pen...THREE TIMES!

One of his hens had chicks and turned mean so he let the others out. Of course they came running over here.
    Now they are ALL here day after day, including the 3 month old chicks.

I have HAD it. I've told them not to let them out but they don't listen. I don't want to harm them, and I'm through catching them, as they let them right back out.

I've used a motion detector sprinkler that shoots water but they just find another route over to my yard.

I don't want to kill them. I told my husband I'd like to find some sort of "circus gun that shoots...um....SOMETHING. He said, "Like confetti?" LOLOL I said no, like ping pong balls or something. But I'd just have to pick the balls up.

I just want to scare them off, but my garden hose won't reach them. I thought of paint balls but don't want MY chickens to eat paint.
    I wish I had a fire hose...something that will squirt 80-100 ft.

What could I use??? I thought of a sling shot with rocks but don't want to hurt them.

No use talking to the neighbor...been there, done that. He just lets them out again.

I don't want them over here bothering my chickens, splorting their parasite, worm-filled poops all over my yard, where my chickens free range!!!!

What could I do to scare them out of my yard? Right now I'll run out of go "Shhhhhhhhh" really loud. They run, but come right back minutes later. Uggghhh!

This is affecting my health. As soon as I see them my blood pressure rises sky high!!

My husband suggests we catch them, throw'em in a box and take them for a ride and release them...far, far away. But I can't do that to them. They got them for their 10 yr. old son. I do have a heart. Just want them out of MY yard!!!
    Any suggestions?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Fence?

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:+1

4. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Send them a bill for all of your chicken feed they eat?

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Do you own a dog that you can tie out as not to harm them?

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I second that. At least 6 ft. Chickens will go where there is food and there is food at your place. Other than a fence you will either have to kill them or trap'em and haul them off or give them away. If they are over in your yard all the time, apparently the 10yr old neighbor kid doesn't really care about them.

If they start disappearing a little at a time, maybe they'll start keeping them penned up. You can say you saw a large dog roaming the area. [​IMG]

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    oh oh! You could dig a moat around your yard, fill it with eels and snakes and minks and crocodiles! Then put a fence on your side so the predators can't get your silkies [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just kidding. Have you tried one of those fake owls that people use for their gardens and such?

8. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Build them a run on your property and tell the neighbors their son can play with his chickens at your house? [​IMG]

9. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    They'd just fly over it. They fly up in the trees to roost at night. Besides, we just spent $1000.00 on a privacy fence for the other side of our property.

I will spend money on some sort of humane gun...is there such a thing? [​IMG]

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    We use airsoft guns on the neighbor's cats its pretty funny they have no idea where it came from it doesn't go in their skin either just hurts. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by