Neighbors daughters dog killed a chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by The Chicken People, Dec 8, 2010.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    It wasnt mine. But it wasfrom half a mile down the road!! I never liked her dog and am glad she went back home and took it with her! Now I still feel bad because the nice lady wont let her hens free range anymore and has no idea what happened to the one the dog got! I want to let her know that the naughty rottie is gone but my Dh said to stay out of it! Its a rissk you run when you let them free range? What are your views on this subject?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    As long as you had nothing to do with the dog being gone, then I'd let her know the dog that was responsible for a chicken death in your neighborhood went away. Free ranging is a risk, but it's sometimes a risk worth taking when it makes your chickens happy. It's a nice thing to have fellow chicken owners close by, so I would be making an effort to cultivate a friendship with her, anyways. If it should slip out during the course of the friendship that you suspect it was her bird that was killed by the neighbor's dog...well, then at least she will know and can mourn her bird properly. Not knowing is much worse.

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I think that it would be fine to tell her. Its not like you are stirring up the pot of drama.

4. babalubird

babalubird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    I agree. She has a right to know and should.

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Sound advice! Thanks I think I will let her know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by