1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors dog a saint!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Heckel's Hens, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Sigh...after being irritated for the past 2 years with my beighbors free-roaming beagle, she has finally done something good. GREAT, actually!

She is very, very sweet, but thinks everyone's house is hers. Every yard is hers, etc, etc, etc. She has been following me in the garage when I feed/water the chicks ( 7 weeks old), but I haven't worried much about her getting to them since I am always in the way, and she shoos away pretty easily.

Today was nice, so I took 3 of my girls outside for some fresh air, wanting to keep the numbers low so I could watch them and see what they do free-ranging for an hour. The dog came up and sniffed them. I panicked, but she just laid down and watched them. The free-roaming neighborhood cat (noticing a pattern here? [​IMG] ) came and was stalking the chickens from a distance. Susie, the dog, went crazy and defended my chickens!

That dog won't EVER stand up to that Tomcat, and she repeatedly laid herself in front of the chickens and chased the cat off. Susie even gave me the stank eye when I tried to pick one of the chicks up!

Just a GOOD story about a neghborhood dog, since I know many on here have had tragedies in that area. It was a nice surprise.

[​IMG] Go , Susie!!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    And along comes a redeemer. Give her some extra yummy treats.

If you ever move I would kidnap the little girl.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

beagles are best! Loooooove me a beagle [​IMG]

still, keep an eye on her, sweet as she is. Dont want her to get the idea they are squeaky toys.

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Aww, cute, protecting them. That will be great if she stays that way. What a refreshing change from the dog horror stories I hear. Almost everyone on my small road has or had chickens, and one neighbors' huskies have killed everyone's chickens on more than one occasion. I'm the only exception, and that's because I heard these stories and so I built fort knox for a coop and don't free range. They refuse to fix either dog too, so they're always running around in heat with raging hormones. [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Do people call animal control on the dog/owners? Here they would be given a warning, fined, and then have the dog taken from them! An animal control officer once told me that a pic of the dog running loose was sufficient evidence for them to take action. [​IMG]

As mad as I get when native wildlife threatens my birds (hawks [​IMG]), I have to consider the fact that they were here first and my birds' safety is my responsibility. I just upgrade security. Dogs are another story! It is the responsibility on the dog owner to keep it safe and secured and it is not safe when attacking MY animals! [​IMG] (I needed that rant. [​IMG])

Heckel's Hen- I am so glad your situation turned out so well! It looks like you have a new friend in that dog. [​IMG]

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do people call animal control on the dog/owners? Here they would be given a warning, fined, and then have the dog taken from them! An animal control officer once told me that a pic of the dog running loose was sufficient evidence for them to take action. [​IMG]

As mad as I get when native wildlife threatens my birds (hawks [​IMG]), I have to consider the fact that they were here first and my birds' safety is my responsibility. I just upgrade security. Dogs are another story! It is the responsibility on the dog owner to keep it safe and secured and it is not safe when attacking MY animals! [​IMG] (I needed that rant. [​IMG])

Heckel's Hen- I am so glad your situation turned out so well! It looks like you have a new friend in that dog. [​IMG]

Nope, not around here. I live WAY out in the woods, the road isn't even publicly maintained, the police don't come way out here, and no one enforces anything around here. It's real back woods! Many of the local dogs run loose, not just the huskies I mentioned. There's three HUGE Dobermans one farm down from me who run loose and I've watched them chasing chickens up the road. Really P's me off.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida

Nope, not around here. I live WAY out in the woods, the road isn't even publicly maintained, the police don't come way out here, and no one enforces anything around here. It's real back woods! Many of the local dogs run loose, not just the huskies I mentioned. There's three HUGE Dobermans one farm down from me who run loose and I've watched them chasing chickens up the road. Really P's me off.

I guess the conversation would go something like this...

Neighbor: Are you sure you haven't seen my dog around here?

Me: No, I have not.

Neighbor: Ok, would you keep an eye out for it? Nice shovel you've got there! I need one like that.

Me: I'll definately keep an eye out. Thank you, I just bought it to bury...er...I mean plant something in my garden. Gotta get back to work now. Bye. [​IMG]

(Says the wuss that won't kill a mouse.) [​IMG]

8. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    It probably just didn't want to share it's food with the cat.[​IMG]

9. breezes_banties_n_bratts

breezes_banties_n_bratts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    north west ohio
    my neighbor/ landlords/ aunts dog went on a killing spree with my chickens. almost lost my entire flock. took me 6 months and finally think i have my coop dog proof so far.it has riped my fence off, i put on heavier fence. started to rip my chickens threw the fence, now that was a mess. had to put wood up around the sides of my coop. then it started digging under the coop so i poured cement around the outside edge of it. it broke into the shed i was keepin my chickens in so i got a house trailor and remodeled it into a barn, that has finally put an end to her feeding frenzy. now i am afraid to let my chickens out because it went from one dog, to a mom with 6 puppies.
    i have asked her to keep them on her property, but she doesnt seem to care. i have lost many sumatras, silkies, polish and phoenixes to that darn dog and tired of my kids coming in crying cuz the dog has killed another chicken. its been a month and no kills recently, keeping my fingers crossed. wish my neighbors dog was like yours.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Nice to read a good dog story! Still be careful.Those chickens are moving chew toys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by