1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors dog attacked my chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SpringChickens, Apr 26, 2009.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I was relaxing yesterday when I heard some loud squawks coming from outside. I immediately jumped up and saw a brown dog biting my chickens!!!

When I got outside, I realized it was the neighbor's dog. I yelled at him, and he ran off. He ran back several times to attack my one white pullet, but would run away again as soon as I got near him. Luckily my neighbor heard and came out and got him.

I think what upset me the most was her response to it. "Oh, I didn't know he was over here"

Me: Yes, we heard the chickens squawking so we ran out to check on them. He was attacking them.

Her: Oh, well, you can have one of mine if you want.

Me: ..... I need to go check and see how badly they were injured.

Her: Oh, if he killed one, just come by and get one of mine.

I don't know if it's reasonable to be upset over this or not, but it's been eating at me. 1) She never said she was sorry, or she'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again. 2) The way she was offering me one of her hens... my chickens are my pets, to an extent, I wouldn't just randomly offer one to someone.

Oh well, I guess everyone is different. Luckily all of my chickens seem to be all right, so I don't have to worry about that. Just frustrated, I guess.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

However you handle it, I wouldn't bring one of her chickens into my flock (disease risk) and I'd tell her to keep her blasted dog on her own property or else. [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I agree. They should keep the dog home or they can pick him up at the pound it what I'd tell them. Luckily it didn't kill or injure your chickens this time but terrorizing them doesn't do them any good either. I would tell them they need to keep him off your property. Sorry for your scare.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Don't doubt yourself on this - it's reasonable to be FURIOUS!!!!!!! Your bird or birds were terrorized and could have been gravely injured or killed. Her attitude shows no concern for the uniqueness of each of these beings - one cannot simply be replaced by another. With her thinking like that, your birds will need to be in lockdown until such time as you are sure that dog cannot get to them. She does not sound like the type to keep him under control because she does not think of a dead bird as a big deal. It is a big deal to the bird that dies.

Your bird or birds that were attacked - check very closely because if they got puncture wounds that you can't see they will have infection and will need antibiotic. This may not be obvious right away - they won't appear sick until infection sets in and best to catch it before that. Also, Rescue Remedy and electrolytes can help with stress from this ordeal. I would give some of both for a couple days.

JJ

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  5. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yeah, I'm very frustrated by the situation. They've been exceptional neighbors in the past, but this really bothers me. They do try to control him, and they try to stay outside while he's outside because he will run off, but it obviously wasn't enough yesterday. I think if he does kill one, it will make it that much more exciting for him.

jjthink: I checked the one I KNOW he had very well, and she seemed to be ok. I didn't see ANY blood and she's white, so I think I would have seen some. She had some wing and tail feathers missing, though. Your suggestion about Rescue Remedy and electrolytes is a very good one, I will make sure I do that.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There could be internal injuries so be very watchful of her for a few days.

Have a discussion with the neighbor about the need to keep it off your property. If you are afraid that it will get emotional and escalate, send them a letter. If they can't contain the dog on their property, they shouldn't own it.

7. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    They do try to control him, and they try to stay outside while he's outside because he will run off, but it obviously wasn't enough yesterday.

Can't control their dog? Doesn't sound like a good neighbor to me.
    Brown dog might not be back today or tomorrow or next week but I promise you, brown dog will be back.

Once again the victim has to deal with the consequences of a bad dog owner. Protect your chickens.

Good luck to you

Bill​

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well that mindset makes little sense to me "come take one of mine"...I suddenly have the urge to get HER address and go steal all of her chickens!

I wonder if brown dog has killed or attacked hers?

I would give her one warning and that would be it. I would call the human society and notify them of the dog, the problems with the dog as you know them and the incident with your birds.

I hate irresponsible dog owners. Good grief if my boy (6 month old pup) got my neighbor's chicken I would beat him all the way home to his crate, go to neighbor's and try to check on his chickens myself and pay for any treatment necessary. WITHOUT hesitation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. A dog will be a dog, A bullet will be a bullet. Try to inform your neighbor of this.

10. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Thanks for the advice. I think the biggest problem is that they don't value their chickens as individuals, just as laying machines. They have about 25 hens, RIR and white leghorns. They are in pens which are marginally large enough for them, and all they do is collect eggs from them.

My birds are free-ranged during the day, locked up at night, and they're valued for their individual personalities. I would feel horrible locking them up all the time, mostly because I see how much they love to get out and explore. I know they have a higher risk of mortality free-ranging, but I think the quality of life is worth it to them. My dogs are out with them all day, and keep most predators away from them... just not the neighbor's dog apparently.

When I first moved my horses to the stable where they are now, the owner saw my Queensland heeler and told me "I take one dog for every cat." Meaning if my dog killed a cat, he would kill her. A fair trade, in my opinion. I may have to tell the neighbors that... one dog for each chicken.

The owner of the stables has commented several times that my dog is the best behaved heeler he has ever met. He's not worried about having to make that trade anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by