Neighbor's dog attacked rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by craftychick7, Jun 18, 2010.

1. craftychick7

craftychick7 New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Hello, brand new here and need some help. My neigbor's dog got ahold of one of our roosters on monday. He had damage to the area above his tail ( a little bloody). He can walk, but ever since then he has been laying in the nesting boxes at night and coming out during the day, but just sitting under the hen house or in a small herb shrub that we have in the hen pen. The first night he was able to get up to the roost with the other chickens, but hasn't been up there since (as far as I can tell) No blood in poop, but his butt is getting a little sloppy because he hasn't been spending a whole lot of time standing up. How do I know if he has a temperature, internal bleeding or something else? What should I be looking for? Oh, our chicks are 8 weeks old and VERY healthy and sturdy.[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, you've gonna have to get ahold of him and look him over real good....he could have an infection going on. You could do this after dark when he's going to be very docile, and maybe put him in a sack or something while you clean him off and look at his wound. He might need some blue cote sprayed on there. And if you can, it would be a good idea to cage him and put some duramayacin in his water too, plus some vitamins/electrolites.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I agree. He may be docile enough during the day if he is not moving much. I would definitely treat him with vitamins and electrolytes, and possibly antibiotics, if needed. Is he eating and drinking? If he is, it wouldn't hurt to get some chopped boiled egg, etc. in him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by