Neighbors dog came into our yard and killed one of our awesome Barred Rock Hens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jeremybrock67, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jeremybrock67

jeremybrock67 New Egg

May 29, 2012
    The past thursday a neighbors dog came into our back yard and killed scratchy one of my daughters new pets before going after the others. Of course she witnessed the entire thing, poor Natalee is only 8 and this was her first taste of death. When I spoke to the neighbor they seemed very unsympathetic, which really ****** me off. I'd like to calculate the financial loss of Scratchy but am not sure where to start. Anyone able to help?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Was she laying? Did the dog do any damage to the pens?

3. jeremybrock67

jeremybrock67 New Egg

May 29, 2012
    Yes she was laying. She was only a year and a half and was one of our top producing hens. No damage to the coop as my mother inlaw was able to intervene before he could do anymore damage.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I wouldn't ask anything less than 15 at this point. If your neighbor is not going to cooperate then you might have to consider terminating the dog next time it comes onto your property,

5. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

i agrere

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  6. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    How awful! I am sorry for your loss. I would think 15 or 20 would be a good value. I would take it up with the neighbor. I understand that some neighbors don't care, which is frustrating, but it is hard to blame the dog for having a bad owner. I hope the neighbor can understand the importance of the situation.

7. Chesterchook

Chesterchook Chillin' With My Peeps

actually i disagree killing the dog will just result in more problems. I suggest you ask for thirty or more but i'm sorry if they still make you [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Killing dog may cause more problems. Having dog continue will cause more problems. Stopping dog is goal. Avoid having emotions influencing your actions. Try to keep in your mind that actions are more for prevention of future loss than revenge, especially when number of losses so small to this point. Neighbor dogs are ticklish issues at times straining good neighbor relationships. Regardless of outcome with this dog issue, consider upgrading property boundary / poultry confinement to control losses. If neighbors dog can get in, then so can another or a feral dog or wild predator like like coyote or fox.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One loss is one loss too many. Some only think it's a loss of only monetary importance like our friend above who always tries to speak in some type of verbal shorthand. A child lost a pet and witnessed it. Let's try to be human for a moment here and cut to the chase.

Chicken on owner's property where it belongs.
    Dog roaming off its owner's property where it does not belong.
    Dog kills chicken (in this case, a young, producing hen and a child's pet)
    Dog may have to suffer lethal consequences because you can't take the dog to court and the owner is irresponsible and/or unfeeling.

Demand monetary damages as well as that the dog NEVER again set foot on your property. Find the ordinance about dog control in your area. If there is not a county law, there is usually a state law. Do not assume just because you live in the country that there is no leash law.

See my signature line.

And, by the way, "good neighbor relations" were already strained by the one who allowed his dog to run loose all over the place, not by the one who is the victim in this case. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    2 people like this.
  10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by