Neighbors dog got my broody hen- are eggs ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicktastic, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Well I went outside this afternoon to check my broody girl. I found my neighbors dog finishing what he started. She was my favorite. [​IMG]

She had a full clutch and was setting for about a week and a half. The eggs were very cold. It had been a couple of hours at least. It was a very cold day here - 40's. I grabbed them and popped them in the incubator.

Is there any chance they are still alive?

2. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

you put them in bator quick. i know someone that has saved a few that way

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    shot guns and rock salt are all i have to say about that dog..

There is a chance so if you have a bator go for it.

4. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

eat the dog it might taste like chicken. i hope it makes him sick. i would beat his/her @$$ next time i seen him/her in my yard.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    Man that would be one dead dog around here! [​IMG]
    Since they went in the bator so quick I would give them a chance. Wait till they get good and warm and candle them. The only thing I would worry about is when to stop turning and raise humidity.

6. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am really irritated. He broke into my coop and everything. She was alone in her own coop but the stupid dog got trapped in there with her at least until I got there. He figured a way out pretty quick after that.

The thing that gets me is that it is not the only time he has tried to get over here. It is the only time he has gotten in!

The neighbor is not at tall interested in keeping his dog up either. Would paintballs work?? [​IMG]

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Catch dog chain him up in your yard and call animal control to pick it up.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    lol paintballs sting;) can you drain some paint balls and fill them up with something more solid [​IMG]

9. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Never hurts to try! I agree about the stop turning day if you are not sure when, make sure you are listening very closely so they don't get stuck in the turner when they hatch! Good luck![​IMG]

Oh yeah I forgot...stupid dog! I'd be havin' a little chit chat with the neighbor! I have had to have neighbors pay for three grown Peacocks!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  10. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    357 rat shot works well. Try it on the neighbor first. [​IMG] I hate it when someone has to punish the dog because his owner ain't worth a crap.

Having said that ~ since you can't legally shoot your neighbor's butt with rat shot, you may have to go for the dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by