Neighbors dog got my broody hen- are eggs ok?

Chicktastic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Well I went outside this afternoon to check my broody girl. I found my neighbors dog finishing what he started. She was my favorite.
sad.png

She had a full clutch and was setting for about a week and a half. The eggs were very cold. It had been a couple of hours at least. It was a very cold day here - 40's. I grabbed them and popped them in the incubator.

Is there any chance they are still alive?

Man that would be one dead dog around here!
th.gif

Since they went in the bator so quick I would give them a chance. Wait till they get good and warm and candle them. The only thing I would worry about is when to stop turning and raise humidity.

I am really irritated. He broke into my coop and everything. She was alone in her own coop but the stupid dog got trapped in there with her at least until I got there. He figured a way out pretty quick after that.

The thing that gets me is that it is not the only time he has tried to get over here. It is the only time he has gotten in!

The neighbor is not at tall interested in keeping his dog up either. Would paintballs work??
wink.png

Never hurts to try! I agree about the stop turning day if you are not sure when, make sure you are listening very closely so they don't get stuck in the turner when they hatch! Good luck!
fl.gif

Oh yeah I forgot...stupid dog! I'd be havin' a little chit chat with the neighbor! I have had to have neighbors pay for three grown Peacocks!!

Last edited:
357 rat shot works well. Try it on the neighbor first.
big_smile.png
I hate it when someone has to punish the dog because his owner ain't worth a crap.

Having said that ~ since you can't legally shoot your neighbor's butt with rat shot, you may have to go for the dog.

Back
Top Bottom