1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors dog got one of my girls...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by journey11, Feb 21, 2009.

1. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    My young neighbors had gotten an electric fence for their dogs after the first time we caught them chasing our chickens. We thought--problem solved! Appearantly they never turned it on! [​IMG] I knew they had 2 min-pins but did not know they had recently gotten a full-size doberman (the culprit)!! I would have said something sooner if I'd known. Even if I didn't have chickens, I still don't want their dogs running through my yard. I have 2 big dogs and I keep mine fenced. If I were as careless as they are, my dogs would have probably eaten their dogs by now.

Anyhow, I saw the dogs running back home and followed the trail of feathers to find my hen dropped just inside the boundary line of the electric fence. I picked up the dead hen and went to knock on the door. She was very apologetic and even a little shocked. I kept my cool and informed her that I have 40 meat birds coming next month and I just can't have this. I free range my birds for about 3 hours every evening. I told her I know I do so at my own risk, but if she wants to let her dogs run on my property, she will be doing so at her own risk!!!! I love dogs too, and I am no hot-head--but I will shoot her dogs if I have to. I know even with good efforts, that dogs may occasionally escape--but her dogs have been terrorizing us since summer. They let them out to potty and they come straight here. They run through my garden, pee on my firewood and dig in my compost too!

I tell you what, I do feel much better for having confronted her about it. We had been too passive about it for too long. I feel like I failed my girls though... [​IMG]

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    SADLY....sounds like you have things figured out ... but i do want to stress,, GET PICTURES of her dogs running free if at all possible,, even if they dont have a chicken in their mouths, pictures can help you in court or with animal control...

i HATE loose dogs.. i would much rather have to deal with coyotes.. a coyote is just looking for a meal.. domestic dogs are a problem because of their OWNERS, and the dogs are just bored (not hungry)

3. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    sorry to hear you lost a bird. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. I would never trust an invisible fence. Dogs can run right through them, then wont go back in for fear of being zapped again. They are useless,IMO.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    check the law in your area about shooting roaming dogs.

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Exactly Cyn. And high prey drive dogs it won't matter...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Journey.

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for your loss....

hope the dog didn't suffer too much from his mysterious death... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  8. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    That's an awful feeling.

When something attacks your birds it makes you do desperate things. I nearly shot my own head off once chasing after a pitbull. That's what I get for not going out there and shooting the dog and being done with it.

Check the laws, most say you can protect your property but I did have our small town deputy tell me she would arrest ME for shooting the above pitbull which is why I ended up chasing it instead. That deputy was wrong btw and I hope she has found other employment.

9. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear of your loss. [​IMG]. With all the talk of predators the only problems I've ever had over the years was loose dogs. Check your local laws.

[​IMG]

10. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm so sorry you lost your hen. And how infuriating that these neighbors don't keep their dogs up. I think you did exactly the right thing, going over there with the dead hen in your hands so they could see the result of them letting their dogs run free. Sounds to me like you were clear about what you expect them to do and what the consequences might be if they don't. Good job - and I'm sorry you had to do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by