Neighbors dog is back and will die......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by amynbrent, Aug 16, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Well I'm back with a complaint about my neighbors dog. Last time he was caught someone drove him a few cities away to a pound but somehow found his way back. I'm guessing he's chipped. things have been fine over the summer until recently...they are teachers and now preparing for school to start they are back to their old ways. Let them out about 5:00 a.m. and out until after 10:00 p.m., no electric fence, no dog run...nothing! Well a few of my chickens decided they wanted to be free rangers and jump their fence. I made everyone in my home aware that if "our chickens" end up on someone's property and a dog kills them it's "our problem" well today the dog was in my yard and got one of my chickens. If I knew how to shoot the gun I would have shot him in the act. AC said I could. I called AC immediately because they told me if the dog got my flock they would remove him. Now let's see what they are going to do. If the dog comes back before AC steps in he will be shot!!!!

2. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Sounds like some of my neighbors. [​IMG]
    Good luck to you and I am sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Today has been a bad day for us both. I am sorry about your bird. [​IMG]

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Please consider taking a firearms safety class before shooting at the dog. I agree that if your chickens are off your property and get eaten, it's your problem. Different story when the dog comes on to your place... Hopefully AC will take care of the problem for you.

5. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Trust me I would never shooot not knowing what the heck I'm doing. My husband does that! I do need to take a class though, he has been on me about this!!! I do know how to shoot a gun but am I a good aim....no!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Ummm, I think you need to reword that. Hopefully your husband does not "shooot not knowing what the heck ...[he's] doing." [​IMG]

7. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    So sorry. I know you had to feel so helpless. Hopefully your animal control is better than the one here and will take care of the problem. Good luck and hate to hear about your chicken. We lost three over the past month to a fox, hate it, but understand it. A dog that shouldn't be loose to begin with.....that's a whole different story.

8. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    More power to you, honey!

I totally understand your viewpoint... your birds on someone else's property = your problem... another animal on your property causing harm = THEIR problem!
    Have you tried speaking with the dog owners?

I hope an wish you luck on this <3

9. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Neighbor, sorry about your chicken. I thought everyone this far north knew how to shoot. You might like it. [​IMG]

10. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, have you talked to the neighbor!?? The owners are the problem, the dog doesn't know any better.I take in rescue dogs and have to teach them not to kill my chickens. It is their nature. I love my chickens and I love my dogs.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by