1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neighbors dog issue..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Momagain1, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Our "not so nice" neighbors have two dogs. A Yorkie and a part terrier dog.
    Bot small dogs. Our neighbors are *alleged* drug dealers, trashy and not nice. Very two faced.
    Very unpredictable. VERY...

the last couple weeks their part terrier dog; has been racing into our yard and stirring up all sorts of trouble.

the past few times he has raced over here; my girls have been free ranging in the eves and mornings..he will drag one
    off to his trailer and gnaw on her...

hasnt caused any physical damage YET...just a few missing feathers...
    we have an air rifle...doesnt do anything to him..he doesnt care...

we have spoke to the owners, she went in grabbed him and yelled at him..(ok..like this dog knows what she's yelling about
    20 min later??)...

NO leash, NO collar, NO tie-out..they dont care...

we can call animal control; for a live trap; BUT we arent sure that our chickens are legal; we have one lot in the "country" and one
    lot in the city...so I'm not sure what they would do about that..so we are kinda leary of doing it that way...

ALSO; if we do turn them in...we risk getting the owners all riled up about this situation and as I said; they are VERY unpredictable ppl...
    these are the people who *allegedly deal drugs* and they have 20+ visitors a day turn around (a lot of them) in my driveway to park on the outside of the
    trailer park and are there for 5 minutes..and then gone...

We have to keep the safety of my kids and us in mind too...

TODAY; a diff. neighbors dog; whom normally we NEVER have an issue with..got out..he's a dachsund. They are at work.
    he must have pushed thru a screen in the window and came running over here; he got a hen; bit its comb bloody, pulled out all
    the tail feathers bloodied...we blue koted her...
    put the dog back in the trailer by way of that window..put the screen back the best we could..
    he got out again and came right back over...

sooo..guess where that dog is??? well it was all big bad and tough with dog vs. ONE chicken..well...lets see how big n tough
    he is one dog vs 31 full grown chickens...
    he's not big n bad anymore...
    we put his butt in the chicken run...he's cowering in a corner...until the owner gets home from work..THATS where he'll be...
    Brian is out there working today; so he is keeping a close eye on it...
    the dog is hiding under an old chair in the run..he wont drink..so we are trying to make sure he drinks so he's not dehydrated..
    its cooler today low 80s...
    he does NOT like being in there w/the chickens..hoping he gets an impression to NOT mess w/our chickens this way...

any suggestions for the terrier???

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    If you are worried about dehydration and the dog won't drink, maybe there's a better way to go about this. If you can't put the dog back maybe you could tie it out somewhere else, other than the run. It won't likely drink if it is terrified.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:Not sure where else to put it?? we dont have another option..we dont want it to run around town and get hit...this dog has never caused us any issues til today..we arent trying to be mean to it..maybe we can take my own dogs leash/collar off and put it on its tie out..and keep my dog inside..hmmm.

but the other dog..any ideas??

4. JayneMae

JayneMae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    they make a skunk spray. you can always just go out and spray that stuff on the dog you don't like and if you do it enough times, you'd think the neighbors would feel it's too much of a bother to be letting him get out...

5. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    ALSO; if we do turn them in...we risk getting the owners all riled up about this situation and as I said; they are VERY unpredictable ppl...
    these are the people who *allegedly deal drugs* and they have 20+ visitors a day turn around (a lot of them) in my driveway to park on the outside of the
    trailer park and are there for 5 minutes..and then gone...

You can make an anonymous complaint about alleged drug activity by the terrier's owners. I mean, c'mon -- they should take you pretty seriously that you and your children live in fear when nearly two dozen visitors a day make five-minute visits and that you suspect meth dealing! The druggies won't know it's you that prompted the visit from the authorities, especially if you mention that they also own what appears to be a dangerous dog.

Short of fencing your property in, the only way you're going to solve the terrier issue is SSS since the owners won't do anything about it coming around your kids and chickens.

Good luck. Sorry you have to be dealing with such awful neighbors.

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    the one time offender dog; is now the proud "on loan" collar & tie out...courtesy of our dog....

he still wont drink lol...

he's awfully cute tho...

7. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:I have not made a complaint; but others have..nothing has been done about it. The former police chiefs wife told me that I need to call state since they are the ones who do they
    staking out of the houses...not locals...<sigh> Wish they would just move...

8. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Are they in a rental where they can be encouraged to move? If so, then maybe start throwing picnics for your local sherrif... tell them they get free food at end of every shift, all they have to do is stop by in their patrol cars.

Also, you could get one of those trail cams and set it up to take pics of all the cars comming and going, then turn it into the cops with a complaint about the activity. If they have all the license plates, they'll know pretty quick what you're dealing with and might take more action to do something about it. I believe that the law is that you are free to photograph anything on their property that is visible from either your property or from the highway. If they want privacy, they have to build a privacy fence. You're certainly free to photograph anyone on your own driveway.

For a $90 investment, you could turn in a couple weeks worth of photos to the cops and that might make them more "interested" in talking to your neighbor.

Also, if you're in a rural area, you might not see action right away. Our cops rely on DEA funds and officers to do round-ups. When they do the round-ups, it is very obvious. There's a string of black SUVs running around the area 'visiting' folks to haul them in on charges. I have a neighbor like yours and they get visited on almost every round up in the last couple years. Unfortunately, they own the property, so not much chance of them moving and it's always the live-in boyfriend that gets carted off (not the owner).

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    You need a fence. If you can't make a permanent one, then use a portable electric fence. It really isn't fair to ask your neighbor's to keep their animals home if you can't keep yours confined to your yard.

10. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    uhm..ouch a li'l presumptious there.....I do have a fence.

my girls get out to free range in morns and eves...

they ONLY stay in our side yard...which is 2 houses and another plot of land AWAY from theirs....
    they wander about 4 ft from their coop.run...

soo..back to the original question..its THEIR dogs issue..not my birds..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by