Neighbor's dog keeps nosing around...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittleOregonAnnie, Aug 20, 2010.

1. LittleOregonAnnie

LittleOregonAnnie In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Okay, so I house my hens right at the side of my home. The pen is on my property but is pretty close to the property line of my neighbor - like a matter of 2 feet. This neighbor lets her dogs pretty much free roam. Mind you, I keep my dogs fenced in my backyard. Anyway, one of her dogs comes over pretty much every day and briefly runs around the chicken pen scaring the heck out of the birds. Then the dog does her "business" right next to the coop door (or all over my lawn). I have told my neighbor several times about the poop issue to no avail so I have resorted to giving it all back via the "poopy toss". LOL My chicken pen is kept immaculate so there is nothing the neighbor can say about stench or anything, and the birds are relatively quiet. But what can I do in this situation? My birds are being harassed and I'm also sick of the crap - literally. I would hate to call animal control about her dog nuisance trespassing because I'm afraid of this turning into a war. Animals end up dead all the time from frustrated neighbors and I don't want anything happening to my chickens.
    And no, dog crap is not free fertilizer if anyone wants to mention that. I have heard that one before. If it eats meat, it kills the greens. [​IMG]

2. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    So TALK to your neighbors!!![​IMG]..AH SORRY SORRY SORRY!!! (Reading comprehension SHOULD be MY friend)

So you HAVE talked to your neighbors, then a warning about the next step if it happens again and then follow through....

If the dog comes over to your property at a regular interval, then it wouldn't hurt to video tape the dog on your property as well..(cheap evidence so they cant sya you are full of it....

Why do people want to be a-hole neighbors!!???

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Water hose works great [​IMG]

4. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Sounds like you may be inside city/town limits. Catch the dog. Call animal control to come get it. THEN go tell the neighbor after repeated requests you did what you had to do. BECAUSE THEY REFUSED TO LISTEN to YOUR concerns about THEIR DOG!
    If your'e not inside city limits you can do pretty much what you deem necessary to stop the neighbors dog from harrasing YOUR livestock.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Firecrackers work great!

6. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Quote:(at scaring her OWN chickens as well![​IMG])

7. Didn't someone mention tagging with a paintball gun...

Though, I imagine spray paint would work too... but you have to get closer... and no sting from the pellet either...

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Songster

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Sounds like a fence may be in order.

9. LittleOregonAnnie

LittleOregonAnnie In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Wow, thanks for all the great responses. We are rural residential so Okay to livestock/animals. I have tried the hose, spraying vinegar, cayenne pepper, etc. The property is on a slope so very difficult to put a fence in that particular area. Has anyone tried those sonic wave things? Will those affect chickens' ears? I'm thinking about that next. And then if the problem persists, I guess it's Animal Control time.
    Thanks for your input.

10. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chirping

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Quote:I think you are there now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by