Neighbors Dog Killed Chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by NYchicken18, May 15, 2018.

1. NYchicken18

NYchicken18 New Egg

May 15, 2018
    Hi everyone. I recently got 10 hens and 1 rooster. They have been free range for the past week and have been doing fine. Today my husband and I both went to work and when we came home all chickens were missing but 3 hens. They were in their pen today. The only evidence of something happening is mud and dog hair on the coop with pen wire pushed over. The neighbor told my husband this past weekend that his dog kills chickens. I did not find any bodies or anything, just dog hair on my coop. What do you think happened? Oh and it 100% belonged to neighbors dog as it matches her fur.

4 ever Orpington and KikisGirls like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Peeps are a-peeping Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Dog could have taken them home to kill them, or neighbor could have cleaned up the scene. Best to keep your birds in a secure run, perhaps surrounded by an electric fence. Sorry.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Show a picture of coop as upgrade time. Evidence not sufficient to get neighbor for actions of dog. Must see it or have recordings as dog could easily have been attempting to get at real perp. Dog owner has obligation of containing his / her dog, but you have obligation of protecting your birds against all comers that extends well beyond that dog.

4. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    My neighbors have dogs. They free-range and I've encountered them on my land before. Very friendly. Personally, I value my neighbors and friendly dogs above chickens. I do everything and have done everything I can to make my chickens "dogproof" that I know of, within reason. I'm not going to harm my neighbor's dog, nor am I going to have words with excellent neighbors about a few chickens. In my case, the onus lies solely upon myself. Just my .02

4 ever Orpington and KikisGirls like this.
  5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom True BYC Addict

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    I believe most dogs would kill a chicken - especially if unsupervised. It is in their genes - prey drive. Chickens are easy prey.
    What type of set up do you have?
    I recently installed an electric wire around the run. It will deter any dog.

6. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    1 Call your local law enforcement
    2 file charges
    3 Make them pay for all the damages
    4 Make them be responsible with there vicious dog(cat)!

Maybe put them on Judge Judy!

I myself shoot them (then call the sheriff), and have told the owners IF they get more and they come over and kill my livestock I will sue them.
    And it is not just chicken, a pack of dogs came in and killed a fully grown full sized goat, my brother and I took out that pack.

Sorry for your loss.

7. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    Depending on the situation, weigh the cost of making an enemy over a chicken or half dozen. Just because it's your right, and you can, doesn't mean that it's going to come out in your favor in the wash. In the case of a vicious pack, I understand, but OP is talking about a few chickens and 1 dog which the neighbor told him about. Weight it carefully, bullets don't return down the bore backwards.

8. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Yes well I have sorry neighbors, this is all they can understand. They have told me they will keep these bad animals so I cannot have animals, (yes I am about to take them to court) the law is on my side as it would be for the OP.
    One more thing, it is not my right, but my obligation to protect my livestock! It is their obligation to keep their animals home.

9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    This...^^^^^......X2.

You don't need to shoot any dogs.........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

I've personally witnessed about 5 dogs getting zapped by this fence. NONE of them twice. And that is just the ones I know about. Real number may be 2X to 3X that......and all of them potential death threats to the birds. Yet no birds have been killed. Just saying.

10. Duckstail

Duckstail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2018
    Unless you got video proof or you saw the dog attack your chicken you're wasting your time and more importantly you getting yourself worked up for nothing! that's not how the law works! Hearsay does not go far in court..

My pitbull, my neighbor's boxers dont eat our chickens, or ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by