Neighbors dog killed most of my chickens, 2 in intensive care.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rrrmamma, Feb 24, 2014.

1. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    I have an ee hen about 2 years old and a Leghorn rooster about 10 months old that survived the attack, but are in poor shape. Some abrasions, shock, and laying in the cold for a few hours. I have them in the house in small kennels. The rooster got up on his own when I touched him and hobbled to the coop. The hen is just barely alive. I have given the hen save-a chick ( a few drops) she swallowed it but is unwilling to stand up. Any ideas, Can't tell if the roo has a broken leg. I don't think so and I don't want to stress them anymore for awhile with a lot of handling. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW, any idea what value I should put on 1 and 2 year old hens that were laying everyday. I lost my big roo, and at least 8 hens. Some of the girls are still wandering out of the woods so I hope that is all the losses. I called the neighbor but she has not answered yet. Sad day!

2. farmgirl360

farmgirl360 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    Mine chickens got killed the same way

3. farmgirl360

farmgirl360 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Southern Illinois
    R there big deep cuts

4. cholmberg

cholmberg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Lewisburg, wv
    Neighbor needs to pay for your losses.
    Next time you see the dog on your property, catch it. Neighbor will answer your calls then.

5. beccaboo254

beccaboo254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    My dog just killed my favorite today bc she escaped the pen. Sad day everywhere. :-(

6. Fluffnpuff

Fluffnpuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Tractor Supply sells a huge coyote sized trap that is big enough to hold all but the largest of dogs. They are expensive, nearly $200, but if it's a recurring problem i would invest in one. If you catch the dog I would immediately call animal control to file a complaint and pick up the animal. I wouldn't even call the owner. Just be sure and tell the animal control officer who the animal belongs to and let your tax dollars take it from there. I would also take pictures of your dead birds in case you needed proof of damage.

1 person likes this.
  7. rrrmamma

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    Thanks everyone. Animal control has been here and been to my neighbors house. She called me tonight and asked me what I wanted her to do.I told her I wanted to be reimbursed for my chickens and the loss of income from the eggs. She was in tears and said she would have to put the shepherd down. I told her we would help her build a dog run.I will talk to hert

8. rrrmamma

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    I will talk to her tomorrow when we are both calmer. I lost the Ee tonight. The too will probably make it. Animal control will follow up to make sure I am reimbursed.

9. clankeyes

clankeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Ferndale , WA
    how sad and how scary.. makes me glad we won't let ours free roam.. i have 2 dogs that love everyone and never bother our parrot. BUT you never know i guess. I am so so sorry for your loss.

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    So sorry for your losses! Very sad..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by