NEIGHBORS DOG KILLED MY CHICKEN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sweetpea1216, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Sweetpea1216

Sweetpea1216 Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Last August my next door neighbor's puppy killed one of my chickens. It is now 6/7 moths old.....runs freely around the neighborhood unattended as well as the owner will walk this terror without a leash past my house. I have already had 2 discussions with this neighbor regarding this problem. Just last week the dog wander on my property getting ready to run in back of my house where my chickens were. I grabbed her by the collar and brought her back home. Neighbors response was...." She likes to visit other dogs in the neighborhood to play with them "...I told the neighbor she was on my property getting ready to go after my chickens and is not allowed on my property and to please work with me and do a better job of complying. Neighbor was defensI've a bit but agreed. Just an hour ago the neighbor was seen walking past my house walking the same dog/puppy off the leash....and the dog ran on my property ( backyard where the chickens and my ducks are ).....the dog stopped after seeing....got in front of its path....dog turned around and ran the other way, neighbor didn't do anything but continuedto walk the other dog he owns....which is funny because the other dog was on its leash. I am at my wits end on what to do. It is only going to be a matter of time before this dog kills another one of my chickens or my one of my ducks....either my neighbor doesn't get it or doesn't care. We got along great for 10 years untill he got remarried...now hardly speaks to either me and my husband. We are trying to figure out how to make him understand he cannot walk his dog off his leash without causing any problems. We don't care if he blows us off but just be responsible for his dog and being considerate. His dog will kill again....other neighbors are seeing get this dog running around the neighborhood loose for hours and chasing cars. Please any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

drumstick diva and rjohns39 like this.
  2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sweetpea1216 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues.

It sounds like the pup can easily get to your back yard and as the owner appears to not want to take responsibility for it's actions, are you able to put up some fencing or a barricade of some description to stop it?

Do you have any Animal Control Officers etc that you could report the issue to? While calling in the Authorities is usually a last resort and can cause rifts between the involved parties, it sounds like he has already decided that he wants to blow you off. He is in the wrong and you have the right to protect your chickens.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  3. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Irresponsible neighbors with dogs and chickens are always a bad combination. Do you have a leash law where you live? Strange he keeps one dog on a leash but not the other. Have you tried talking to the new wife, maybe she'd be more receptive?

Since he's shown he isn't willing to change how his dog is managed, I wouldn't feel bad about calling animal control. Maybe once he has to pay a fine to get the dog back, he'll be more careful.

And in the meantime, put up some sort of fencing to protect your birds as suggested. Might not be "fair" to you or the birds but it beats having one of them killed by the loose dog.

Good luck.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sweetpea, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard but sorry your neighbor is a pain. Lots of BYCer's have had similar experiences. It's like being held prisoner in your own yard - you, the responsible one, has to be ever-vigilant for the irresponsible neighbor. I agree with NFC - corralling your birds may not be fair but it would better protect your chickens. Another alternative - call the police or animal control. Maybe paying a fine or two will encourage your neighbor to contain her hound. Best wishes to you!!

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome.. Great suggestions..I would call also.

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would try to erect a few strands of electrified fencing around your chicken area. Once puppy finds out 'it bites,' he will keep away on his own. Also find out if you are within your rights to kill any dog, pup etc attacking your birds. Print it out and put on the neighbors mailbox. I don't suggest killing the pup but maybe it would change HIS thinking, if he does think at all.

Otherwise if you set up a game cam that would record the dogs visits, you can prove to animal control if he injuries or tries to harm any more birds. If you were able to catch the pooch, take him to an animal shelter as far away as possible. Someone else can have him. If they ask if you've seen their dog - you can truthfully say you don't see him around.

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    [​IMG] Sorry to read you're having such issues.

There's lots of good advice above.[​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I agree with above posts....you can't control the neighbor or his dog, but you CAN control your own yard. "Good fences make for good neighbors" is an old adage but still true today. A fence can slow a dog down and give your birds time to escape and it can also keep predators out altogether if it's electrified poultry netting.

It's a costly investment but an investment all the same and can buy you some peace of mind about the situation. The electronetting will indeed give puppy a lasting reminder that your yard and birds are off limits....in quite a satisfying way, I might add. [​IMG]

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Oooh yes....like the way you ended that. Feel exactly the same way. [​IMG]
    (I'm not evil, really)

rjohns39 likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC..

If the pup fits in a live trap I would trap it and take it to an animal shelter 50 miles away like D.DIva said...

I assume you are in a city and SSS is not a choice. I know it is frowned on many here, some have said they would hate to have me as a neighbor, (does not bother me), I will protect my birds right to wander my land to the NTH degree. BTW I have never done SSS on the first visit or second even,,,

Welcome to BYC I can't believe I missed this thread for 2 weeks,

rjohns39 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by