Neighbors dog killed my chicken.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicknduck, Jul 20, 2010.

1. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    My chickens free range over our hill back in the woods and they stayed back there untill our neighbors started feeding them up in their yard. Which I didn't like because the rule was only to feed them at the coop so the would stay back there. The people 2 doors down have a crazy dog who is left outside tied to a tree and has been there since I moved in 7 yrs ago. I feel bad for the dog because I have never see it off the leash and it barks all day and all night and is outside in the winter. But It killed one of my chickens today. I can not blame anyone because I let them free range and it did go up in his yard. I just wish my neighbors directly next door never fed them so they would not have got in the habbit of going over to their yard. Now I have to buils a run for them. I dont want to fence them in but I dont want anymore getting killed. I am sad. They are all golden commets and I couldn't even tell witch one it was. I just wanted to vent my frustrations.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:You're right on the money there. It is your job to keep them safe and secure. Lesson learned. Good luck on your run - and don't worry, it won't take them long to get used to it. [​IMG]

3. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Well my neighbors were shooting and the chicken got spookedand ran up there. They ussually never go near the crazy dog but, you are right lesson learned.

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Aww it's ok it'll get better--- I'm sorry hun [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Thanks for that. I have grown very fornd of them.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    good. [​IMG]

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry. Our chickens used to go into our neighbor's yard and it scared the you-know-what outta me. One day, my favorite Polish somehow got trapped in their dog's caged run. I had noticed her missing beforehand. Luckily, the dogs weren't out and she was just fine, besides being a little upset that she was unable to get free. Lesson learned, big problem avoided. We've since kept them staying in our yard by feeding them sort of 'in the middle' of our property and not close to the border. Every once in a while, some daring sole will sneak out into the yard and I'll have to round them up. One thing that does help is only giving them partial free-range and not all-day. This way, they don't have the 'time' to get over to someone else's property and will use the few hours they have to stay close to home.

Good luck-these things happen.

8. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    The only problem I have with what happened is that the neighbor kids call them up to feed them and I have told them not to because I only fed them in their coop to avoid them going elswhere for food. If they would have only listened. uugghhh

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have my hens in a cheap plastic fence run.We also have our entire lot fenced in if I wanted to let them run around.I like the option of both. I would talk to the feeder neighbors,and tell them no more feeding PERIOD.They can get their own hens.Sorry for your loss.To bad about the dog.Sounds like it has a sad life.

10. chicknduck

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    My hubby told them yestErday no feeding. I am gonna start the temperary run today and the make a more permanant one. I do feel so bad for the dog. It is not treated very well, but they give it food water and shelter so what can I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by