neighbors dog killed my turkey

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by davidb, Jan 25, 2009.

1. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    When I got up this morning and went to the mail box. I saw turkey feathers every where,so I knew something had got my royal palm Turkey,I didn't know what at the time, but as always its usually a dog around here. so I followed the feathers as far as I could to see which way they were going, and then went back in the house got dressed got my camera took some pictures of the attack,got in my jeep and went down the road the way the feathers pointed and wala saw my neighbors dog in their yard eating my turkey. I didn't get that picture all though I tried. he ran off when I stopped, but I did get a picture with feathers in his mouth and of the turkey laying in there yard. So I went to the door and the children opened it and I ask for their mother.Why do you want to talk to her one ask and by the way they were acting I knew they knew. so we talked I told her about the turkey she apologized, and said she would chain the dog. I told her not to worry about the turkey but I have some goats and some cows getting close to having there babies and I'm going to be upset if any of them goes the way of the turkey,she said she understood and I said thanks, Would it be wise to keep the pictures in case the dog breaks loose and kills a baby goat or a calf or would these pictures be any good .

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    absolutely.. bad dog ownership doesn't change after 1 incident.

3. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Yeah, so she caint deny it was her dog that done it if somethin happens, cuz it's already been caught once, now that it knows where critters are it'll more likely then not try again.

4. davidb

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    If it gets loose im sure it will come back for more,So Im going to save the pic. thanks

5. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I don't know if this will be considered mean or what but I would KEEP the pictures AND call animal control and have this incident DOCUMENTED WITH THOSE PICS! This way should that dog come around again and kill your livestock next, your animal control may be able to take him away!

You are a LOT nicer then me, that woman would have paid for a new bird for me and a bird who was the age your bird was as of this morning, not just another baby turkey!

6. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    You let her off way too easy. I am sorry if this seems mean, but you gave her absolutely no incentive to keep that dog tied, in a couple weeks, it will be business as usual at her house, and the dog will be loose again, cause no body believes that thier dog is capable of killing a cute lil baby anything!

It may be too late now, but I would talk to animal control, if no other reason, than to just give them a heads up! I am not a subscriber in the whole 'once a dog has killed they will be forever doing it', as my own dog killed a pet duck of ours when he was in his first year, however, it has never happened since, and how he is the defender of the flock and yard from all comers! I would trust him with the tiniest chick!

BUT, I also realize he is the exception, and not the rule. A chained dog is gonna lay around and dream happy dog dreams of fresh turkey! Imagine what baby goat smells like to that same dog?

Keep your gaurd up, and make a few phone calls. Good Luck!

7. davidb

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    I did let her off easy,That was my intention because I like to get along with my neighbors and they with me, we have been living around each other most all of our lives. we usually all help each other out. not long ago I left the gate open and my horses got out,My neighbors, not her they went the other way helped catch them and put them up, Ive came home and found cattle on the road,and put them up for my neighbors because they were gone. we don't have animal control here ,we are the ones that control the animals. I took the camera to take pictures really for insurance, because another neighbor had trouble once with their last dog.so really I was saying in a nice way.If he comes back, don't expect him to come back home and if he does he wont be with you very long, and be prepared to pay the damage,as you had to do the last time with the other neighbors

8. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Well, sounds like you have good people for neighbors, and I wish you only the best with the situation. So many of us have monster neighbors!

We are lucky, our neighbors are remote, and also good people! Sounds like you handled it the best way possible for your situation!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You're a nice guy, davidb!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by