Neighbor's dog killing my chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennhale

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Lewisburg, Tennessee
So our neighbors got a new dog, and over the past week it has killed one of my roosters, six laying hens, three Cornish Rock chicks, and two cuckoo maran chicks. Also three if our ducks. We let our chickens free range, but are now keeping them secured in the coop which they hate. We've tried talking to the neighbor, they said they would keep the dog in the house, of course when they let it out to go to the bathroom it's right back in our yard.
We've tried shooting it, but it's gotten where as soon as it sees us it takes off for its yard. I am so frustrated. I have never had any issues before this, and now I've lost half my flock.
I've been keeping my rifle right inside the back door and just biding my time for now.

That is just SO wrong. Have you been able to get photos of the dog and the dead birds or the dog trespassing in your yard, then go back to the neighbor and ask if they are going to pay for damages?

It would be sad to have to shoot the dog because the neighbor has no respect for you or your property. But unless the neighbor controls the dog, you will have to.

I would have no problem shooting the dog, I would imagine there are leash laws in your area but even without them if the dog is killing livestock you can shoot it. Here we have a very ornery donkey who hates dogs and will stomp one in a second.

No they know the dog is getting in our yard, I doubt they have the money to pay any kind of damages. The last time it did it, I put the dead chicks in a plastic bag and hung it on their door knob, then tied the stupid dog to the porch. Caught it out again the next day.
I've already warned them that if I caught the dog in my yard again I would shoot it, and it was since then that the last attack happened. They obviously just don't care. I have two bull mastiff/ Pyrenees mix puppies that have the run of our property so I can't call animal control. Just waiting for a good shot at this point.

If you have one put up an electric fence like maybe 2 or 3 wires a foot apart so he can't get through it with out getting zapped! We do this to keep coons out of our corn patch! Works great and you don't half to shot the dog but tape it because the first time will be awesome footage!

We have five acres so that would be a LOT of electric fence. Lol At the moment the chickens are safe in their coop and fenced run, so it's just a waiting game til the dog slips up. If they cared anything for the dog they would either chain it when it's outside or find it a new home. If they don't care I sure don't care either.

I know the feeling, we lost 10 of our 16 chickens when a fat opossum decided to feast one night. We now set live traps with moist cat food. We've killed 3 opossum and relocated 1 raccoon in nine months. My brother lives in the country and his dog got out one time (always leashed) and the neighbor shot it. It devastated the family. I know its equally as devastating to lose your chickens too. Perhaps call your local animal control or law enforcement and ask what your options are. It seems that legally, through leashing laws they would be required to put in a fence or at least underground fencing for their dog. After you've contacted proper authorities let them know, they now have some options; fence the dog or continue as they are dong and the dog will either be hauled away by animal control or shot. In doing so you have clearly stated your boundaries and it is their choice. Keep in mind too that if you are willing to shoot their dog for entering your property, they have every right to shoot your birds or allow their dog to attack your birds if they wander onto their property. Nothing destroys a garden better than a few wandering chickens. Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom