Neighbor's Dog scared the cr*p...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NoSpringChick, May 23, 2008.

1. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Okay, my broody hen is being a very good momma...sitting on her four eggs for 9 days now when all of a sudden my neighbors dog comes out of nowhere and really scared her off her nest; she POOPED this VERY STINKY green stuff. Some of it got on the eggs. I cleaned it up the best I could, but boy did it smell.

Should I be concerned? She did go right back to being a good mamma.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Ahh... broody poop. Isn't it lovely? No need to be alarmed. When you're sitting on your nest all day, you only have so many opportunities to use the little girl's room. [​IMG]

3. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    Oh good! It's okay that it got on the eggs?

4. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    As long as you did not wash the eggs they should be fine... Eggs have a protective membrane that keep bacteria & such out, but once the egg is washed that membrane is pretty much gone. If you're really concerned you could very gently rub the dirt off with your finger in some water (someone help with the exact process?), but I don't think you want to mess with the broody's eggs if you want them to hatch.

Congrats on your broody btw.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I would probably just leave it be. I'm not too keen on hatching, but I think taking the egg away from heat, putting under water and washing it would risk ruining it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by